If I Never Met You, by Mhairi McFarlane

chloemly's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced

beckyremillard's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

leliana1237's review

DNF,jako dosadno

bookishromance's review

Sadly I couldn’t love this book more, maybe because it was more women fiction than romance. I did like the plot but I could care less about Laurie and Dans relationship. While we did need to know about lauries past I felt that it was too much, I fell deeply sad at first then I just couldn’t seem to care. It was a bit too much. Laurie and Jamie where cute, though I couldn’t seem to find the chemistry between them. The transition between friends to lovers was kinda lost on me. Also I did find some of the stuff boring and had to skim.
I will still try more of Mhairis books though.

cgbart's review

This might be more of a 3.5–due solely to the ending feeling both rushed and drawn out?—but for two things: kept my attention during a pandemic and, more importantly, FAKE DATING A N D there was, at one point, only one bed. What a great one-two trope sucker punch.

sourpersimmon's review

While I felt the ending was kind of trite, the overall romance and the building of the FL's confidence and self worth was the best part of this book. McFarlane also did a good job with the "only one bed" and "enemies to friends to lovers" tropes and she did a good job whipping me into instant hate of the antagonist and I reveled in it. lol. The slow burn buildup between FL and ML was perfect. But like I said about the end, I have my skepticism of the ML's change in personal beliefs. All in all such a great read.

omnilegentoberski's review

This was a very slow burn fake dating, almost enemies to lovers romance. I really enjoyed the pacing, and that the story was not just about the romance between Laurie and Jamie, but about a woman finding herself after a long relationship coming to an end. There were parts of this book that were completely an utterly heartbreaking, but completely relatable to anybody that has ever had a relationship end without completely understanding what went wrong and when it started going wrong. It has a great message of female empowerment, and I love that it is a mixed race romance between a woman who is older than the man in the relationship.

shelleyrae's review against another edition

A delightful romantic comedy, If I Never Met You is Mhairi McFarlane’s sixth novel.

Laurie is devastated when her boyfriend of eighteen years suddenly announces he is leaving her, claiming the need to ‘find’ himself, and then completely shattered when she learns just weeks later that Dan not only has a new girlfriend, but that the girlfriend is pregnant.
Desperate to retain a shred of dignity, especially given she and Dan still have to work together in the same law firm, Laurie strikes a deal with a colleague. Jamie needs help to rehabilitate his reputation as a lothario to have a shot at making partner, and being seen to enjoy a new relationship with a handsome and successful man might make Dan rethink his decision to breakup with Laurie. A fake relationship will benefit them both...as long as no one ever finds out.

The bare bones of the plot of If I Never Met You is not by any means unique, but the execution by McFarlane has real appeal. Yes this is a romantic comedy that exploits the enemies to lovers trope, but there is also a surprising depth to the story.

In particular, McFarlane’s characters move beyond the expected stereotypes, subverting them in ways that are thoughtful and realistic. I felt as if I could relate to Laurie, even though I don’t share her experience, and empathised with her feelings and behaviour. On first impression, Jamie appears to be a typical ‘Alpha’ hero, but it quickly becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving.

I love McFarlane’s sense of humour, which can be very dry, but also makes judicious use of the cheap laugh. I also really admire the way in which the author utilises a full range of emotion without becoming too farcical, nor too angsty, it’s a difficult balancing act that she gets just right.

If I Met Never You is witty, heartfelt and utterly engaging.

awesomelybadbooks's review

hopeful medium-paced

After nearly 20 years of being a couple, Dan breaks up with Laurie quite unexpectedly.  After some uncomfortable revelations, the heartbroken Laurie tries to figure out what went wrong. What is worse, Laurie and Dan work at the same law firm which runs like a rumor mill.  When she and Jamie Carter - notorious womanizer - get stuck in an elevator together, and unlikely team and plan is formed that benefits them both.

It started off very slow but once it got going is was predictable but in the best kind of way. Love the realism of the dialogue.  There were a few things that seemed not needed in the story or seemed like filler, but it didn’t distract too much!

I liked it!!

em184's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book, liked the plot and also the narrator. I really liked the dynamic between Laurie and Jamie and enjoyed how their relationship progressed and how Jamie was clearly into Laurie even tho she didn't see it or acknowledge it, until the reveal at the end. The very ending fell a bit flat for me imo, like I'm happy they got through the 3rd act break up but it did seem a bit random like I didn't really get it