The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas

littlestar2911's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad tense fast-paced

books4days's review against another edition

This book came about after the author tweeted a publisher asking if he thought there was a place for a YA novel inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. If the success of this book is anything to go off of, the answer is a resounding YES.

I had heard great things about this novel before I read it (author endorsements and even an article in Entertainment Weekly) and it delivered on all I had heard and then some. I wasn't expecting the book to be as compulsively readable (I read it all in a single day), entertaining, and relatable as I found it to be.

Everything about this book was just so well done. One of the primary aspects of the character of Starr Carter is her constant code-switching between her environment and peers, whether she's in Garden Heights (her neighborhood, afflicted by poverty, gangs, and drugs) or Williamson (her predominantly white, affluent school). Reading Starr's internal monologues when she has to balance what she feels are two sides of herself was a highlight of the book. I also liked how authentically and completely within the world of a contemporary high-schooler this book was. Harry Potter, Tumblr, the Jonas Brothers, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air -- Starr references them all.

To conclude: Please go read this book. I (and many others -- this book is seriously and rightfully very popular) highly recommend it.

danibeliveau's review against another edition

This is an important book for people to read, especially young people. It is a fictionalized retelling of many highly politicized recent events, particularly police brutality and Black Lives Matter-style protests, from the perspective of a high school girl who finds herself in the middle of it all. Though the narrator's voice is genuinely, believably teenaged and often hilarious, I struggled to maintain interest in the "young-adult" voice. I wish a book like this had been published fifteen years ago, but then again, this story is very much a distillation of current events, and I'll be curious to see how well it holds up against the test of time.

hernamekailah's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

gabbyb's review against another edition

MUST. READ.

lindahees's review against another edition

Dit is absoluut niet mijn boek, vervelend verteld en vervelende personages.

-Geen discussie-

mgsmears's review against another edition

The story was great and a needed one in our society right now. The narration on this audible book was SUPERB! I rarely cry during books, but this one brought tears to my eyes with the final paragraph. Can't wait to see the movie version of this story.

vera_1993's review against another edition

3.5⭐️

maddi919's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad medium-paced

aalbes's review against another edition

I felt so awkward when I started reading. This is a world we white folk never think,l and hear about. Ok we do but only when put into the negative. Like Chris says; I want to say sorry.

Angie Thomas doesn’t hold back and writes detailed and it makes me feel I’m there. Just amazing!

My favorite quotes;

We finally drive off. “See baby,” she says. “Everything’s fine.” Her words used to have power. If she said it was fine, it was fine. But after you’ve held two people as they took their last breaths, words like that don’t mean shit anymore.

My anger is theirs, and theirs is mine.