The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas

yumnerd's review against another edition

"'Funny. Slave masters thought they were making a different in black people’s lives too. Saving them from their “wild African ways.” Same shit, different century. I wish people like them would stop thinking that people like me need saving.'"

this book is so fucking important. everyone in the whole world needs to read this. this gives the reader a lot of insight on the black lives matter movement and what is actually means. i must say, THUG opened my mind up a lot.

julie804's review against another edition

A must read!

mimireads320's review against another edition

This book has been on my to-read pile since.. well, since it was published. I knew it was going to be a tough one and I wanted to be in the right head space to read this book. Praise to the high heavens for Angie Thomas. What. A. Beautiful. Authentic. Important read. Get this book into the hands of kids for school mandatory reading, because it is that damn important. The character development was incredible and the very real, horrifying truth was written with so much love and true perspective. I laughed out loud as much as I bawled. And I bawled reading to the very last page (including the author’s acknowledgments). We must do better. We must speak up. Thank you Angie Thomas, for being the voice for those babies that are no longer with us. Because every single one, was someone’s baby.

(*movie in theaters in October, 2018)

aliceinbooklandd's review against another edition

Exceptional.

vvsliv's review against another edition

The Hate U Give was an all around great book. The plot is frustrating at times, and it’s supposed to be, you’re supposed to really look at this book and look into the life of this black teenage girl dealing with the life of her friend being taken. It approaches topics like Police Brutality and Racism; topics we shouldn’t be ignoring. It’s an eye opener and a brilliant page turner. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone

briik's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

gracier___m's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny inspiring sad tense slow-paced

renbooks's review against another edition

Quick and interesting read. Really enjoyed it and gave me a lot to think about. I read this the week after there was an officer shooting of a young black man in Indianapolis which was partially shown on his Facebook Live, following a police chase. The Indianapolis community has been heavily divided over what happened, who is to blame, and whether or not the young man "deserved it" based on some of his prior actions and the actions leading up to the shooting. So this book was a timely read for me, very relevant to some current events in my city. Not saying the situation is the same as what happened to the young man in the book, but that there are some parallels. Recommend this book to anyone who is interested in race relations in the US, and the relationship between black communities and police.

lexruthor's review

challenging reflective fast-paced

nursena's review against another edition

3.75 / 5 stars