Reviews tagging Genocide

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline

nat_montego's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful sad medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

It has a happy ending, that being said it is incredibly triggering for trauma, torture, sexual violence

bookdragon217's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

"Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to live it."

Cherie Dimaline does it again. The Marrow Thieves was a fantastic ride I did not want to end. Dimaline's writing is so captivating that you have no choice but to follow where she's taking you. Her imagery and prose are so vivid you are propelled into the action of the story. Dimaline is becoming one of my favorite authors and I will buy anything she writes going forward.

What I love the most about Dimaline's writing is her love of Indigenous people, the way she spreads the truth about their history and the moments of hope interspersed in between. This was a dystopian tale but she maintained the importance of community, traditions and found family. From the very beginning I was invested in their survival. The writing is so mesmerizing I was hanging on every word and detail. I really appreciated their growth and how they weren't all written as a monolith.

The dystopian tale was written as a reminder that the murder and commodification of Indigenous bodies is not new and continues to evolve into different things because of capitalism and settler colonialism. This story highlights the ways that Indigenous people continue to survive and pave a way into the future by holding on to their ancestral ways.

Main themes that resonated were:
💥 Indigenous genocide is not over
💥 Settler colonialism continues to displace Indigenous people from their land and deprive them of resources
💥 Erasure of Indigenous culture continues to be a violent process
💥 Community is the backbone of society
💥 Found family doesn't replace blood family but is still just as valuable
💥 Ancestral knowledge is priceless and offers survival tactics
💥 What is happening to Indigenous people today is dystopia
💥 Love can grow in the darkest of places
💥 To be an ally, you have to be willing  to die with those you are trying to save
The Marrow Thieves finished in a way that provided some relief but left a reminder that the journey was just beginning. For Indigenous people, the future is unknown but their will and ability to survive is unmatched. Grab yourself a copy of this one ASAP.

ruuththereader's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional medium-paced

“Sometimes you risk everything for a life worth living, even if you're not the one that'll be alive to see it.”

“When we heal our land, we are healed also.”

“Do you think circumstances make people turn bad? Or that people make circumstances bad to begin with?”

What a journey. This book deserves all of the stars. The beginning was a bit slow but really picked up. At one point, I was listening during my commute and something tragic happened; I guarantee anyone who happened to look my way would have thought I had just gotten the worst news of my life. I definitey teared up. This book was a great allegory for settler colonialism and how Indigenous people of the Americas have been treated (and continue to be treated) by society and governments. I think this story is great for young adults or those getting into Indigenous fiction. The cultures of multiple Indigenous nations are represented and it really touches on the importance of being able to pass down traditional practices like language. I would note trigger warnings for rape, murder, racism and child death.

bibookworm's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad fast-paced

5/5 Stars. The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline is a haunting speculative fiction following a group of survivors in a post apocalyptic type setting. In this book The end of the world is brought on by plague and global warming, and Native Americans are hunted down for their ability to still dream. This book follows a group of native survivors and grabs readers attention from the very first page. This book needs to be required reading in schools. TW: racism, genocide, residential schools, death of parents, mentioned SA, forced cutting of hair, genocide

nstew16's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad medium-paced

tascaraudo's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful sad tense fast-paced

The writing was familiar to me, the way things people and places are described is short and rich with imagery. As a habitual skimmer, the fast-paced nature of the writing forced me to go back and actually read in order to understand what was going on.
The book really starts with a bang, and you will never be bored.

caseythereader's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

anaguana's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

cheesepuppy's review against another edition

dark reflective sad