The Bone Way by Holly J. Underhill

ar1na's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious fast-paced

seitenreise's review

adventurous emotional sad medium-paced

soulsow's review

I always struggle to rate novellas because there's so little to judge but i enjoyed that one, it's no a bad book at all. It wasn't what I expecting as it not actually a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice but inspired by it only.
The worldbuilding was enough for a novella, there was enough to answer most questions. I liked their relationship and that drama was not in between of them but the two were fighting together to be stronger.
The pacing was really quick, we could feel it was a novella and what I"m disappointed with is the final fight being so quick and a let down.

I would still recommend that book, it was a nice read I enjoy

lilsreeds's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

girlsluvbooks's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

meixiaotian's review

I liked the idea, and I was excited to read a novella about a descent into the underworld. And the ideas in here aren’t bad. But the execution was really mediocre. The prose was loaded with a few too many adjectives that weren’t pulling their own weight, and the general feeling that it could be sharper. Teagan’s emotions were told a little too much, in a very straightforward manner. I thought the exposition was handled too bluntly, like information was just going to get dumped when it was needed, even though it’s not very natural for Teagan to be thinking about it, or worse, saying/singing it out loud.

I also think this plot was too simple. Novellas are short, yes, but they’re also an opportunity to do something focused and maybe experimental, but that kind of density wasn’t here. It was just a basic plot of go here, then here, then here, then here, with a lot of exposition and flashbacks thrown in.

thereadingrogue's review

fast-paced

thereadingwren's review

2/5

The premise was great but the execution wasn't the best. I don't know how to describe it but the story didn't hook me, I basically skim read the whole thing. I normally love a good quest with tests and trials but the way it was handled here wasn't engaging. Each trial was solved far too easily and the reasons for the trials weren't explained well enough. The characters were also very bland and I didn't care for them at all.

noras_tales's review

I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This in no way influences my opinion of the book.

I have to say, this would be excellent for anyone looking for a quick, sweet, fantastical read. Unfortunately, I wish this had been longer so that it could have properly developed the characters, the plot, and the worldbuilding. I think all three of these elements were okay, but could have left a larger, more satisfying impact had they simply been given more time. I didn't let the fact that this is a novella effect my rating, but I'm starting to realize I'm just not really a fan of novellas in general.

I still sympathized with the characters despite my brief time with them, and I loved that - though this had dark and grim moments - this had such cozy, 'curled up on the couch with tea and a sleeping cat in a witch's cottage surrounded by dried herbs, potted plants on a rainy day while my wife is concocting potions and healing salves' vibes. As mentioned by a previous reviewer on Goodreads, this had a similar tone and feeling to Ghibli films. It's whimsical and fantastical, and as mentioned before, very cozy. I liked our main characters and the world they lived in - I simply wanted more and was left feeling only somewhat satisfied.

emrea's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted slow-paced