Lore, by Alexandra Bracken

hmierow's review

I know this type of book won’t be for everyone but I LOVED IT.
I can see it being really confusing/frustrating for anyone who doesn’t know a decent bit about Greek Mythology though.

atelmari's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

kendraji's review against another edition

This was definitely a compelling story. I absolutely loved the spin on Greek mythology set in modern day New York. I do wish that the urban fantasy element was played up a little bit more. There were points in the story where I completely forgot that we were in NYC. The story really takes off right away and is pretty unpredictable. I believe this is a stand alone, but I would love more from this world.

3.5/5 ⭐️

slaris's review against another edition

I LOVE Greek Mythology and I think Lore is a great rewriting of the original gods. It’s completely different than any Greek mythology I’ve ever read and was very creative.

tamutheshamu's review

"You only have to look at the Medusa straight on to see her. And she's not deadly. She's beautiful and she's laughing."
- Hélène Cixous

[4.5/5 stars]

I've seen plenty of reviews saying that this book is the love child of Greek mythology and The Hunger Games, and though I agree, I have to say that it is so much more than that.

As a self-proclaimed mythology buff myself, I was almost immediately hooked when I read the book description, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It works so well as a standalone novel, and it plays out like an action-packed movie. I will say that the vivid imagery of death and violence might be a little much for some younger readers or easily-squeamish people, but personally, it didn't really bother me.

Lore is a story about resilience, love, and self-realization, and it's told in way that incorporates legends and myths from one of the most well-known and indulged ancient civilizations in history into a modern context, all while maintaining a powerful sense of elegance in the prose. It's truly an engaging, mesmerizing read, and I'll highly recommend this to anyone interested in Greek mythology, fantasy/contemporary fantasy, or just really good story-telling in general.

honeysbooks's review

adventurous challenging tense slow-paced

capsandclauses's review

adventurous emotional lighthearted medium-paced

honeycake's review

awesome concept, poorly done, sadly :( the writing wasn't good and it wasn't bad, but it relied on a lot of infodumping.

Spoileralso im sorry but once you have a character face near death 3 times, the third time the stakes are gone and i don't care

book_case7's review against another edition

I loved it. The premise, the characters (and how they’re all a little morally grey), the writing and narration, the representation, the obvious love the writer has for her city, the ending that’s also a beginning, etc. Loved !!

ciaraw8787's review