The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

shewwimonster's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced

a_fantasy_lover's review against another edition

This book deserves 4.5 stars. The characters had completely different personalities and how they were implied gave them life.

The only problem was the lack of explanation as to how the magic itself works and why they were even called the 'Scorpio Races'.

However, compared to the the plot of the story, this is nothing. And the romance was just wonderful. It felt real and not just something that's fueled by lust like I feel many romances depend on. Gere it felt innocent and pure - that's the romance I love most - even if the characters themselves are all the shades of grey and white (maybe not black cause they weren't dark they were just normal people).

That's without even mentioning the strong genuine bond between Sean and Corr (the water horse). It's beautiful.

heathercottledillon's review against another edition

I've never read a book quite like this before, and I really liked it. Stiefvater did a great job of creating the atmosphere of Thisby--it felt melancholy and beautiful at the same time. I could just see the dangerous capaill uisce and the water's thrashing waves. The plot is a bit slow and definitely predictable, but I enjoyed the writing so much that it didn't bother me.

melishi211's review against another edition

I love this.. Like so much...

rtreeky's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

thebooksuccubus's review against another edition

This story of Puck struggling to become who she is meant to be will also have to prove to an entire island that she is a force to be reckoned with keeps you wait to know who will win the race. While Sean is learn to be open when never before when he has grow to be just like the sea, unforgiving and mysterious. Was a great story just wish she was more to the ending, I just felt like there could be a year or two done road chapter.

faeriesparks's review against another edition

reread november 2015:
once again I totally fell in love with this. I don't know what it is about this book but I just love it SO MUCH

ravenslanding's review against another edition

If I could give this book 6 stars I would. And I am madly picky about horse stories. This story is heavy with horsemanship, but is also just Really Really good.

gabsreadsbooks's review against another edition

I had forgotten how beautiful this book is. Everything is just perfect.

yorggeorg's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious