The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

brenna_b's review against another edition

challenging emotional

nasiatyson's review against another edition

I felt as though Holden was a traumatized character and his constant analyzing of other people was a reflection on himself. It was a way to cope whether he meant to or not. Holden is a vulnerable, narcissist but is also just a teenage boy with flaws and that doesn’t ruin his character. Holden is painfully relatable whilst being annoying. He is a privileged, traumatized, insufferable, seventeen year old boy being just that. This book is about the effect of trama on the young and how the lack of support can cause them to only rely on themselves.

jackselvester's review against another edition

adventurous reflective fast-paced

wildweasel105's review against another edition

The first time I read this novel, I was a freshman in a private college-prep school for men. The irony of reading about a college-prep student struggling to find his niche in life was not lost on me, although Salinger's character's exploits predated mine by about twenty years. I found a few similarities between Pencey Prep and the New Hampshire school I attended, but most importantly, Holden Caulfield seemed to have a worldly wisdom and a certain nihilism that thankfully, I didn't have.
On this recent second read, I found the novel to be nostalgic, and still possessed of the brilliance that Salinger instilled into this lonely, troubled teenager.

phaywa's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense slow-paced

jbeacham's review against another edition

Bad writing style combined with probably the most unlikeable character in literary history.

tprokott's review against another edition

he is funny. but he is so negative about everybody. he does see though the fog. he says the truth of things. you get to see his growth throughout the book

__nyx__'s review against another edition

Towards the beginning of this novel, I found myself heavily unable to connect with the narrator. He sounded like he was uttering the internal monologue of every single male student I have taught. A repetitive drone of “lousy” languaging. But, hey. That rings true (or so I can only assume) to how most every adolescent thinks. A limited vocabulary combined with a seemingly endless burst and variation of emotions can only end in thus.

However, as the book continued, I found myself inextricably linked to the ways in which Holden was thinking and feeling about things. I too hate “phonies” and the way people interact with one another. Sexually, and otherwise. And like Holden too, I just yearned for that emotional connection. Or something more. And I too mess around with people linguistically and find life and its little interactions “funny”.

But this narration has a very deep bellowing. Teenage angst, mental displacement, a rage against the system. Sure. It ends with Holden observing little Phoebe on the carousel, and commenting that “it was just that she looked so damn nice, the way she kept going around and around, in her blue coat and all.” Though one may feel blue at times, the beauty in life is its continuum and how it feels when, after you fall, you pick yourself up and keep going. And maybe Holden sees this occur only in the carelessness and naivety of youth, for once we age, we struggle to do so. Does he refuse or resent ageing? Perhaps both. Perhaps us older folk should too.

Wonderfully told, and eerily reminiscent of a true spirited youth.

macailab13's review against another edition

I loved this book. It was easy to read and I didn't feel like I was reading a book. It was as if my friend was telling me apart of his life.

paola_louise's review against another edition

dark fast-paced