Fable, by Adrienne Young

bookwormbree's review against another edition

This was an interesting book. It was a little disappointing, but the description was good. It was a little hard to follow along as I don’t know sea language, and the movement from place to place was foggy, but other than that it was just okay. It was very slow paced and I was looking forward to action packed pirate story, but this was not that. The characters were kinda dull not the main characters but I didn’t get to see much of the side characters personalities. This book really felt like one big long introduction.

tessasap's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

amyr's review against another edition

This is probably one of my favorite fantasy reads this year. I was hooked from the first chapter and really came to love the characters. And that ending?

literarypostcards's review against another edition

I read this book in one sitting and could not put it down. I loved every second of this pirate story, and when I finished reading, it felt like it had always been one of my favorites. I could see, feel, and smell that world and it was just a joy. I cannot wait for the second book!

bookish_heidi's review against another edition

What an adventure this was! Riding along with Fable while she tried to get back home to Ceros was amazing! It makes you feel like you're on the open sea right along with her.

Fable was abandoned on an island when she was 13 and told that if she could find her way back home, she'd get what she deserved. She struggled to stay alive for 4 years before she finally scraped enough copper together to buy safe passage back to Ceros. She dredged the reefs for rare gems and sold them to a buyer named West. When trouble came for her, she ran to West to save her. He told her that running back to Ceros wasn't the answer she was looking for, but that he would take her. Traveling with West and his crew was an adventure in itself.

I can't wait for book 2! That cliffhanger ending was rough and I can't wait to see what comes next!

piper_kelly3's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad tense slow-paced

lisashelves's review against another edition

⭐️⭐️⭐️

ladyberry's review against another edition

I was excited to read this book partly because of the gorgeous cover, but also because it's a little different from what I usually read.

It was fast paced from the start, a good mix of exposition and action. The first half or so of the book lagged a bit, the pacing was a bit slow and the characters took a long time to develop.

However, it was beautiful written and a very immersive world. Lots of action and adventure, and while not a fantasy world necessarily, there is a bit of an otherworldly feel to it.

The last 100 pages or so definitely picked up, and that's where it got really good. The ending is a cliffhanger, but everything wraps up nicely before that last twist, which is a satisfying way to do that. We finally got some backstory and I really started to love the characters. Great chemistry and I was so glad to finally get a sense of the found family aspect that Fable so desperately needed. I'm excited to see what happens in book 2, and how the story unfolds.

I read this on kindle but I might actually end up purchasing them both in hardcover too - the covers are just so pretty! I'm also a fan of duologies because it's long enough to get really invested in a story but it doesn't drag on for two long :)

yetanothersusan's review against another edition

This book was going reasonably well (thus the 3 stars) until the romance started and ruined it. And then the ending. Ugh! I realize this is part of a series and a story arc spreading into the next book makes complete sense, but this was beyond that. Thankfully I don't care enough about the characters to feel the need to continue reading the series.

bookishuniversee's review

Thank you to @newsouthbook for sending me a free review copy. In no particular way does this influence my opinion.

Damn that ending. I need my hands on the next book right now! If you were planning to pick this one up, make sure to have the sequel on stand by cause this finishes on a cliffhanger.

I was very surprised by this book. It was a nice simple read set on sea. I was expecting a story surrounding a pirate fable considering the title. The main character name was just Fable. It was a little bit cliche but god am I a sucker for sea adventure reads.

If you are a fan of the “found family” trope then this one is for you. Though I did feel like the connection between some characters could’ve been better developed. But I’m hoping it’s better explored in the sequel. It has so much potential, I am so excited.