Fable, by Adrienne Young

salmoter's review against another edition

Actual rating: 3.5/5

jaycreads's review against another edition

3.5*

i love pirate books, okay, but every time i read one i’m always comparing it to daughter of the pirate king.

this book isn’t bad. the beginning was definitely more enjoyable than the last half, and the characters were eh, but the whole concept was cool.

it’s definitely plot-based, and i really like lovable characters, so it wasn’t the best.

fable was a very interesting character, at that. confusing, maybe. she has a lot of random and spontaneous wants and desires that remind me of the characters i wrote in middle school.

i don’t remember the other crew members ahaha

the world-building was lacking. i couldn’t imagine everything and the entire government and trading system was so confusing. also idk where saint fits in with all this.

one thing i strongly disliked: the romance.

idk if adrienne young can write it or i just read a lot of enemies to lovers. it was very insta-love and sudden, because i didn’t really see fable pining over west. and west was being so ignorant and rude that it didn’t seem like he actually was in love with her. (when he ignores you <33) and then they just spontaneously hooked up. i cannot deal with this.

imma read the next one but let’s hope i can get into it more.

nikkitadcomeau's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful fast-paced

francisforever's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

chellseed's review against another edition

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Fable really surprised me. I am not generally a huge fan of books that take place on ships, or involve pirates, the sea... etc. but Fable was an exception for me. I had heard a lot of great things about it from friends and book reviews, but still went it a bit skeptical. I have never read a book by Adrienne Young before so had no idea what I was in for. I feel like what set this book apart was that it was more a story about growth, survival, and found family, and the Sea setting worked alongside that without overtaking the story. I was invested in the characters and found myself wanting to know the backstory, the history of everyone. This was a well done story. There weren't any slow moments or times I felt like rushing through. The only negative thing I can think of is that the book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.. which makes the wait for the next book almost unbearable. Overall though. I really liked this book. I look forward to the sequel, Namesake which is due out on March 16, 2021.

readingismyescape_'s review against another edition

Really liked this book!
It reads easy, the story is good, there are unexpected twists and it ends on a mayor cliffhanger! I'm ready to read the next book!

her's review against another edition

adventurous informative lighthearted mysterious relaxing slow-paced

cmarso's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense

canderson's review against another edition

I read this book pretty quickly. Fable was a Fairyloot book that showed up on my doorstep and sucked me into the ocean depths.

Our heroine, Fable, is left on an island by her father when she is thirteen years old. This isn’t some safe and homey island, either. It is full of cutthroats and dangerous people. Fable must figure out how to make her way on this island, and finds her calling to be dredging: diving deep to the ocean floor and collecting shells, stones, and other materials to sell at port.

But, Fable has a knack of finding some good stuff and of course, the unsavory characters around her find that out and now her plan to make enough money and get off this island is in jeopardy.

But she does manage to get off that island. The trick now, is to figure out where she belongs and how she plans on making her way back to work on her father’s ship. Fable was a quick read, and followed your typical YA fantasy motif. We have some difficult times ahead for this able-bodied female, as well as a smidge of romance in store for her as well.

The pacing was solid, carrying us from one event to another seamlessly. While some of the characters and their roles in the story are rather predictable, there are some characters toward the end of the novel that SURPRISED the heck out of me. Of course, just in time to end book one and leave me with my mouth hanging open at the end. I’ve now marked my calendar for the release of book two, Namesake, which releases in March 2021!

Recommended for those who have read All the Stars and Teeth, Sky in the Deep, Half a King, or The Queen of the Tearling.

As a side note, I do have to agree with some of the other reviews I’ve seen, that I LOVED the original cover much more-so than the Fairyloot version.

Happy Reading!

_mkarys's review against another edition

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

This book suddenly started popping like fungus on Instagram, and when that happens I’m immediately intrigued, especially when people can’t stop singing its praises and mention a romance to swoon for—detail that was strengthened by the fact that the preorder goody was a particular moment in the story that had me swooning without me even owning the book yet. Fate worked its magic, and Fable was chosen as the October #BookTalkWithWifey book. (BTWW is the monthly readalong/booktalk hosted on Instagram by @_ckarys and @drawingandreading).

I continue to be conflicted on what rating to give this book as I’m writing this review.

I can say with certainty that this is a good book and I enjoyed a lot of its aspects. Fable is a great protagonist, strong and intelligent. The setting was also incredible. Sea settings are some of my favorites when done well, although I admit I haven’t read many. This one was done very well. We’re reading about merchants, but in this book it’s just another fancy word for pirates and I’ll never say no to some well-written pirates.

The supporting characters took some time to warm up to, but I liked them by the time the book was over. Are they characters I’ll mention over and over on Instagram under the “Who’s your favorite cast of characters?” or “Who’s your favorite LGBTQ couple?” or “Who’s your favorite badass female?” No, they’re not. I’m already struggling to remember most of their names, but they were nice while I read. It’s a completely different tune if we consider Saint and Isolde, Fable’s parents. Let me just say that I’d buy three copies of a prequel book about them, because from the little bits we got of their past, their love story would be one I would absolutely adore reading. Isolde isn’t even a character we actually see, for she dies before the events of the book begin, yet I feel like she was such an interesting character. And Saint...Saint exudes big pirate energy. (You thought I was going dirty, eh? Well, you wouldn’t be wrong.)

And I come to the point that I didn’t really enjoy: the romance. The fact I loved the romance that happened “off screen” rather than the one we see blooming between Fable and West says it all. The problem is there was barely any romance in this book. Had there been no romance at all, it would have been fine and my rating would have likely been higher, but since it’s there, I have to point out that it’s the biggest flaw of the book. Fable and West hardly have any buildup or scenes where they have important and deep conversations, so it’s baffling to see them falling in love all of a sudden. The problem isn’t even Fable, who has legitimate reasons for feeling what she feels for West who, on the other hand, was so good at not giving away his feelings that one is surprised they were even there. Perhaps I put too many expectations on it, but when the preorder incentive of a book is an artwork of a kiss and people can’t shut up about the romance, I’m expecting fireworks. Do I hate Fable and West together? No, they’re even cute, but they lacked development.