The Bride Test, by Helen Hoang

heatherofbooks's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

readergonewilde's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

jessaminebooks's review against another edition

lizziesalwaysreading's review against another edition

Oh my, oh my. This book. Sooo, interesting story… I haven’t read the first book in the series. I saw The Bride Test on sale on Kindle and thought I may aswell go for it. Abit of background information, I was in an insane reading slump when I started this and I practically finished it in one day! This hasn’t been achieved by me in so long I can’t remember the last time, so that’s saying something about this book.

This book follows the romance of Esme and Khai, they are adorable and so, so loveable. This is my first time reading a book where a character is on the autism spectrum, I found it to be a very interesting look into something I shamefully don’t know too much about. Esme and Khai as characters are very fleshed out, they have flaws and there is a depth to them. Reading the Bride Test is almost like reading about real people. The Bride Test with all its cuteness, does broach some serious topics extremely well, while still remaining a quick and enjoyable read. I found myself extremely drawn into the family this book centers around, Esme’s struggles to navigate both America and Khai, and of course, Quan the absolute darling… I really do hope the next book follows Quan. The relationship featured in this book is a slow-burn, but it is to die for, the anticipation will have you on the edge of your seat rooting for Khai and Esme until the very last page. I found it to have just the right amount of steaminess and cuteness which is quite an achievement, often there is more one than the other I find.

Furthermore, the author’s note at the end added a real personal touch, an added layer of depth to the story. My only qualm with the Bride Test is I found the ending to be slightly rushed, but in the grand scheme of things it didn’t really bother me too much. I will definitely be going back and reading the first book and keeping an eye out for more from Helen Hoang in the future.

Blog
Twitter
Bookstagram

jona's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

was ich mochte:
- Autismus-Rep + Asian-Rep
- Wenig-Fühlen-Debatte, bzw. seine eigenen Gefühle nicht erkennen → relatable
- sowohl die Hauptpersonen, als auch die Nebencharaktere waren likable (auch wenn ich wünschte man hätte mehr von Angelina gelesen)
- der Konflikt war nicht so abwegig

was ich nicht mochte:
- das ganze Thema Auswanderung → das Thema wird komplett einseitig besprochen: jede*r will nach Amerika, sie will unbedingt nach Amerika und da bleiben, ihre Mutter und Oma und Tochter haben kein Problem damit einfach mal eben ihre Heimat zu verlassen und ab dann in den Usa zu leben
- die ganze Andy-Motorrad-Geschichte hätte es nicht gebraucht
- sehr hetero: "girl loves boy loves girl" → ugh, wenn ich sowas schon höre
- am Ende findet sie doch noch ihren Vater → unnötig, es muss auch nicht alles immer 100% dreamlike laufen, um glücklich zu sein
- Esme und Jade haben plötzlich westliche Namen; bei Esme versteht man es, sie will in Amerika nicht auffallen, aber als ob eine Mutter ihre Tochter von einem auf den anderen Tag plötzlich anders nennt
- wie ich schon bei "Chloe Brown" meinte: ich wünschte, nicht jeder "attraktive" Mann müsste durchtrainiert sein

courtneydoss's review against another edition

Helen Hoang writes compulsively readable, lovely romances. That was proven in The Kiss Quotient and has been reaffirmed by The Bride Test. The two books are pretty similar in their style, focusing in rich, Vietnamese, and autistic characters. There is sweet dramatic irony, misunderstandings and tons of angst, punctuated by sexy sex scenes and that sappy sweet love we all come to the romance section for. Why mess with a good thing? Helen Hoang knocked it out of the park with her first novel, so she might as well keep it going with this one.

The Bride Test is the story of autistic Khai and Vietnamese immigrant Esme. After a traumatic event in the past, Khai is convinced he can't love. Esme needs a green card to help bring her family into a better life, and after she is approached by Khai's mother for an arranged marriage, she knows that she can't pass up this opportunity. Predictably, there are some road blocks along the way, but Khai and Esme have crazy chemistry. It is just a sugary sweet novel that does exactly what it sets out to do; makes the reader fall in love with the characters.

I would recommend this book to anybody that enjoys romance and needs a break from the incessant white bread characters that fill the genre.

marlireads's review against another edition

3,5 stars

bookishmermaid's review against another edition

this was a rollercoster, definitely not another the kiss quotient for me unfortunately, but i enjoyed it overall.
what i liked: helen writes amazing diversity characters and i appreciate so much the way she describes autistic people, i love love love quan (invented being the best brother ever, he deserves a book i'd die to read it)
what i didn't like: the lack of chemistry between the two characters. i'm sorry but their relationship didn't work for me. i liked some scenes and the beginning was the cutest thing, them getting used to each other etc. but the whole getting together didn't give me any feelings. i enjoyed the ending a lot and it definitely got better in the end, but the middle of the book lowkey ruined the book for me so i can't give it more than three/3.5 stars

ratherbreading14's review against another edition