The Winter of the Witch, by Katherine Arden

stelune's review against another edition

Life changing. This trilogy is a masterpiece and left me in tears. Thank you for this journey for I feel I have grown and come into my own power with Vasya. While it hurt to come to the end still dreaming of their future, I will carry the way this story sank into me for the rest of my life.

blulady's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

czarot's review against another edition

This finale is perfect!

"As I could, i loved you." One of the superior lines i've ever read ever.

Lastly, Solovey. Oh Nightingale... i love you so much with our heroine Vasya.

tisalwayssunny's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

Thematic & heartfelt conclusion. Just a lovely read.

jskellenger's review against another edition

The Winter of the Witch

I almost feel sorry for the next book I read.

The Winternight Trilogy completely blew me away. I've never read a book so...EVERYTHING, if I could give 6 stars, I would.

honeypeach's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful sad tense medium-paced

gailinapail's review against another edition

i really loved this trilogy

kenzie_writes's review against another edition

This is one of those trilogies I wish I could unread so I could experience the magic all over again. Absolutely beautiful.

myweereads's review against another edition

“There are no monsters in the world, and no saints. Only infinite shades woven into the same tapestry, light and dark. One man’s monster is another man’s beloved. The wise know that.”

Katherine’ Arden’s final book to this trilogy was the perfect ending to the story of Vasilisa Petrovna. Over the books we come to learn that she is a girl determined to forge her own path in a world that would rather lock her away. Her gifts are extraordinary and her courage even more so. She is bound to Morozko the Winter King however here we shall see if it will be the thing to break her down. Moscow is under attack and the Grand Prince is frantically seeking upon who he can trust. An ancient demon reappears determined to bring chaos. Vasya is in a predicament, can she save both Moscow and her world with Morozko or will she have to sacrifice one for the other?

The story picks up where it left off in the previous book and the reader is once again drawn into this devastation that only Vasya has the power to solve. During this strenuous time she comes to learn more about who she is, her powers and what her future holds. This comes with many surprising revelations.

I have been routing for both Vasya and Morozko from the first book so to get to the point I was anxious to find out whether their story would continue. Could they live in harmony giving the circumstances.

The author manages to pack in magic, beautiful and frightening images from folklore, a Russia from a long past and fantasy. I did enjoy this book and was sad to see this story come to an end. It has been an exciting trilogy to read through.

libz's review against another edition

I don’t always love the fantasy genre, but these books are a new favorite. I’d re-read them every winter.