Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

sleblanc912's review against another edition

I found the feminist topics in this book to be like the feminism found in The Barbie Movie, very surface level (which I probably should have expected considering this is a collection of essays). I think a book like this is supposed to open its reader to unexplored ideas and leave them thinking well after they put the book down, but I never had those moments and was starting to feel bored. It also probably didn’t help that I didn’t know any of the works Gay was referencing, and I wished instead of giving surface level explanations of many works she really dove deeper into a few (like the Green Girl analysis!)

Also the Bill Cosby thing in the beginning aged SO poorly but that’s not Gay’s fault as this was written before the allegations came out 😭

Anywho if I was in my 2014 #TumblrFeminism era I think I would’ve gotten a LOT out of this. However I think I’m at the point in my feminism journey where I needed something a bit juicier. Funnily enough I’ve seen many a YouTube video essay that have really dove into specific feminism topics that have been incredibly interesting.

maresuju's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

bbarcenas's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective fast-paced

libraryghostie's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny informative medium-paced

briannasix's review against another edition

The second half started to get repetitive, but still an enjoyable read.

heathcliff's review against another edition

Reading Bad Feminist has made me realise how much has happened in the last 5 years. For example, Gay wouldn’t have known that in 2019, Don Lemon is woke now. But of course so much of Gay’s commentary is still trenchant and relevant to the dumpster fire that is our culture today (women still have it bad, water is wet). Some of the smaller shifts I count as little victories (in the chapter where Gay talks about Fruitvale Station as a rare bright spot in the box office for black cinema, I think of the success of Black Panther and Moonlight). Others only remind us how much more the needle needs to move for our culture to progress to become, well, just less bad. It was also interesting to see how pieces of pop culture have shifted since the book was published (Gay could have anticipated that Orange Is The New Black got progressively worse, the Breezy hive is still active). I found myself nodding along to everything Gay wrote, as is expected. Her commentary is incisive, sharp and necessary for our times. I know I’m not the first to think so.

sydleit's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

erine's review against another edition

This wasn't funny. I'm not sure where I got that expectation, but it took me a while to realize that while there is humor here, it exists as self-deprecation and wry observations about our flawed reality. Once I shifted gears, I enjoyed this. It made me uncomfortable. It gave me a personal, practical narrative to contrast with the very academic approach of Intellectual Empathy that I just finished.

amkartsch's review against another edition

emotional funny informative reflective fast-paced

mel_theravengirl's review against another edition

I read several of the essay but honestly just got nothing from them. felt like such a waste of time, and i didn't understand the point. Just yapping about nothing