The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell

nicholeb84's review

I don't have a lot to say about this one. It was very well written and had an amazing premise. However, the plot was predictable and terribly drawn out. (It is a 480+ page novel, and it should/could have been 300 pages so.) There were a few twists - some I saw coming and a couple that literally just felt thrown in for "fun" or to fill-in plot holes. Speaking of plot - it was all rather anticlimactic in the end.

klainederful's review

I didn't think a book about gangster magicians and time travel could be boring, and yet...

parmitareads's review

A bit predictable and slightly lacking in world-building, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. The push & pull romance between two of the characters is very well done and the dark fantasy atmosphere made it a gritty reading experience. I'll continue with the series for sure as I can't wait to see how the story will unfold further, especially after that ending.

alrightieaphroditie's review

”but then, liars do make the best magicians, and he happened to be exceptional.” ♡₊˚

this is like my third or fourth time rereading this book, and it’s amazing how much i still love it. i’ve been in a hella slump lately (which is why it took my over two weeks to finish this) and i figured going back to some books i’ve already loved might help. i’m determined to finally read the last three books in this series this time!! i loved my girl esta, and i loved dolph’s character a lot more this go around. harte has my heart, obviously. i’m very excited to see where this story goes!! <3

reread in december; five stars ∗

all of the stars | this reread just solidified the fact that this book is definitely one of my all time favorites. i’m so nervous to pick up the sequel but good lord, i need to know what happens next!

..... W H A T?!?

i’m literally speechless right now. like ??? holy frick i loved this book sososo much!!

okay so the characters were all a m a z i n g! some people have compared it to six of crows and i mean i can kinda see that but we can’t compare all heist books to six of crows, ya know? yes, viola was strikingly similar to inej but honestly i feel like that was one of the only similarities? idk.

anywho, esta was such a kick ass main character! she reminded me a lot of my baby delilah bard, which only made me love her even more. harte darrigan was a dream. i love magicians (*cough* adam parrish *cough*). i loved dolph very much (i think mainly because i imagined him as young hugh jackman for some reason?)

ughh the plot!!! this has so many things put together: time travel, history, magic, hate-love trope (ish), etc. i was kinda worried about it all mixing together but i should not have. lisa maxwell executed this perfectly! i genuinely was not prepared for ANY of the plot twists, even though i did have a few ideas (that were so wrong but oh well.) i think this is one of the only books where i’ve literally gasped out loud? i was just amazed.

overall this was such a fun read! i’m so glad that i decided to pick this book up. now i am restlessly and eagerly anticipating the sequel because I NEED ANSWERS!!!!

mulang's review

I think I overhyped this book too much in my head :/ it was good but not as good as my expectations or some of the other books I'm currently reading

also the fact that so many ppl were betraying or planning to betray each other lmao

as for the other stuff, I suspected that the professor might've been evil but I did not see the nipsy thing coming at all or the twist abt esta's parents or dolph sander's death :,( the power of ~ "maincharacter" ~ did not protect him from death ;'<

amariprice's review

adventurous mysterious tense slow-paced

Took forever for the world and story to build/make sense. But as it all came together, it was very interesting and captivating

dpearson5257's review against another edition

I’m choosing myself lol I can’t, I made it much farther than I thought and I really wanted to love this one ugh I’m upset! But baby this was slooooowwwww slower than a sloth and I couldn’t put the damn pieces together, the amount of time jumping we were doing I was getting dizzy and I didn’t not truly feel connected to anyone. I really wish the magic was more fleshed out because then I might’ve made it but it was giving Diviners with a time jump🙄

mykday's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced