oishe_paul's review against another edition

this is the exact brand of horror that i love??
the atmosphere in this is i m m a c u l a t e i could see, hear, smell, and feel everything being described. it's got an old, gothic house, a strange family that just feels off, and nightmarish visions with nightmarish imagery. way more messed up than i could ever anticipate, but i was here for it 100%. it feels like it would fit in well over at a24.
i thought it was a little slow in the first half, but the gothic excellence in combination with the weirdass mystery really took me in. once it hits that 50% mark, BOY does shit hit the fan, and it's all a bad trip from there.
silvia moreno-garcia please write more gothic horror cuz i'll eat it up!!

kristinnsbooks's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

Just wasn’t for me.

bonesworth's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

redthistle's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

I am not someone to typically reads books in the horror genre, however, I do love gothic literature and decided to dip a toe this spooky season with Mexican Gothic.

Overall I very much enjoyed reading this book. This book hits all the right notes for a gothic novel with an eerie house full of secrets, an old money family that isn't quite right, and a bright and go getting outsider willing to do what it takes to save her cousin from a terrible fate.
I thought the atmosphere that was built throughout the novel was beautiful and haunting. It kept me reading and captivated me from start to finish.
I loved Noemí as a main character. She was intelligent, loyal, and brave in the face of true horror and her perspective was delightful and easy to step into.

Some spoilers on my thoughts about the horror elements of this story and what the most horrifying element was for me.
SpoilerI thought the device of the mycelium as the vehicle for the horror of the house and its family was clever and interesting. I had a feeling early on, with the foreshadowing of Francis' love of mushrooms, that the mold was going to be what was causing people in the house to have hallucinations.
I think for me though the true horror that turned my stomach laced through the entire novel was the power the men held over women. Stripping away the body horror and the magical mushrooms you are left with a reality all too many women know. Men who take what they want and care not for the people they step on and break in the process. The constant threat of sexual violence that Noemí was under the entire time had my stomach turning and me cringing. Not to mention the Doyle women who were all used and abused to the point of their children being eaten and their bodies being used as mulch to create more mushrooms for the men to exploit. This element of the story was, for me, the most horrifying and unsettling.

For me, a major factor whether I like a scary story is in the ending. I was pleasantly surprised by the ending of this book. It left me very satisfied and if you like gothic literature (and make sure to check the content warning since this is a horror) I recommend you give this book a try.

thenarratress's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

blancas's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

readhaileyread's review against another edition

So weird. So creepy. Such an interesting twist on a horror book. I felt like it was a little slow in the beginning but I really liked it!

emeynardie's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

kayleemace's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny lighthearted tense slow-paced

halehawthorne's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced