Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami

nyanmaru's review

urgh it makes me GAG the way men write about women. why am i even surprised at this point

margueriteleech's review against another edition

challenging reflective sad slow-paced

This is a very slow paced reflective story about a young man's coming of age story in Tokyo. The briefest of synopsis: he goes to college in Tokyo after his best friend dies by suicide in their final year of school where he falls in love. We follow the character as he learns to deal with the mental anguish of his loss and as he adapts to his new life. The sex scenes and the author's portrayal of women, while in some ways very graphic and 'realistic' (as in not overly romanticised or idealised) was also pretty bizarre and strange. Mental illness is a strong theme in this novel. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this style of story me but I can readily accept that this novel dealt with some very difficult topics in a very sensitive manner and was well ahead of its time.

nirbhay's review against another edition

"Don't feel sorry for yourself. Only arseholes do that".
- 'Norwegian Wood'.
- Haruki Murakami.
OVERVIEW-
When the protagonist, Toru Watanabe hears her favourite Beatles song, he recalls his first love Naoko, the girlfriend of his best friend Kizuki. Instantly he is transported back almost twenty years to his student life in Tokyo.
In this long flashback we wittness a world of uneasy friendship, sex, passion, loss and desire all happening to him. And then comes a time when another person walks into his not so normal life where he has to decide whether he want stick with his past or to move on to the future.
The introduction of the plot was less engaging but the rest of the plot is constructed beautifully. I really liked the continuity of the storyline. The tempo of the story was a little unusual but not in a bad sense(Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with Murakami' works).
The story was a semi-autobiographical as the translator, Mr. Jay Rubin suggests. The details were very close to real life experiences. One thing I must confess though, is that, I didn't have a clue about all the 60s' pop references given in the book, which I didn't mind..
This is my first Murakami book and I totally loved it. His writing approach is little distinct and I think that's what make him one of the best novelist of Modern literature.
My Rating- 3.5/5 Stars.

mikayladlewis's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

amy56's review

emotional sad medium-paced

booknotesbylia's review

reflective sad medium-paced

beaboop's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

readerish04's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

bathabeni's review