The Liar of Red Valley, by Walter Goodwater

litwithraffa's review

Someone hold my purse; I am in shock: this book is so good that I am shaking. Seriously, I loved this so much.

Before I give my detailed review, I'd just like to mention that English is NOT my first language, therefore I apologize in advance for any typo, grammar error or any kind of mistake in my writing. But as the book is not yet planned to be translated in my language (I think), I have the solemn duty to convince English-speaking people to read this book, talk about this book and love this book, so one day my country will want it too. Because I sure need this book in Portuguese.

Anyway. About the book: I took an interest for it because I thought it was a dystopian fantasy, maybe even sci-fi. I was NOT expecting it to be what it is. But that's not a bad thing, I love it when books are not what I expect, because expectations are ordinary. Surprises are nice. As soon as I started reading it, I felt like I was reading one of those reaaaaaally good creepy pastas. The ones that send creeps down your spine and make you shudder at every gush of air. The ones that make you feel scared to leave your room after sundown.

That's Red Valley. That's what Red Valley made me feel while reading. I felt anxious, but in a good way, and I felt scared, but also in a good way. The writing and the main character make you feel like you're there, right by her side, watching her go about her mission, talking to these people, fighting the evil ones and slapping that damned sheriff and anyone who tries to get in her way.

The Laughing Boys have me the real creeps, more than any other creature. The dudes at the bar too. There was something about them. And River... wow. I want so much to know more about them all, but at the same time, what makes them so special is how little we know about them. It's what makes them scary. The more we know about things that scare us, the less we feel scared, right?

The plot twists were... wow. I cursed at least twice. Out loud. I was- I don't even have words for what I was. But I was so shocked at them. I really did NOT see them coming. And the ending was amazing. That lady, that entity... I have a feeling about her, but I shall not share it.

Man, there was never a moment of boredom in this book. Things just kept happening. And I didn't feel like it was rushed, either. It was just the right pacing to make us feel like Sadie - like there was never a moment of peace -, while at the same time we could digest the things happening.

I loved this book so much. I loved Sadie, but most of all, I loved Beto. I know, there are a lot of great characters in there, but Beto was IT for me. That dude deserves a spin-off.

I'm not sure my review helped, since I mostly said only good things. But if I found any bad stuff while reading, I didn't bother to take notes, because all the good things are just way bigger. In the great scheme of things, this book is pure and simply GREAT. I do not give 5 stars lightly, but man did I give them to this one as fast as light.

Thank you so much, Rebellion and Net Galley, for the opportunity to read this. And thank you, Walter Woodwater, for writing this.

p.s.: On my blog and social media, I shall post a translated version of this very same review, somewhere in August. If you don't mind.

litwithraffa's review against another edition

veil0819's review

adventurous fast-paced

neville_lvr_reads's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

wintherreader's review

July 21st: joined netgalley and requested the liar of red valley.
July 22nd: request approved
July 23rd: read book (finished 2am on the 24th)

First book i have read in a month, and this was the perfect book for me to read to get back into reading.
It was hard for me to put the book down and stop reading it, and right now i already want to read it again.

Definitely the best book I've read so far in 2021

This book is about Sadie who's the daughter of the Liar, and when The Liar dies, that's when troubles begins.

Sadie inherits the powers that was gifted to her family in the 1800's by the King of Red Valley.

And in red valley there are three rules just must follow if you want to stay alive

Don’t trust the Liar.

Don’t go in the River.

Do not cross the King.

This book has a bit of everything, Creepy beasts called The laughing boys, an annoying new under-sheriff who disapprove of the king (not annoying because he disapproves, he's just annoying and a jerk), a time traveling gay couple (whom i adore), and great friendship

kmfb87a5's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

navik's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

baytos1's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

gyeranbbang's review

In Red Valley, you can make any lie become 'true enough' as long as you pay the Liar's price. When Sadie's mother dies, she inherits the role of the Liar of Red Valley and she becomes involved in the war between the King and the law as they fight for the town's control.
And while this dispute is going on and Red Valley wilts and succumbs to other paranormal threats, the town people are kept in place with three simple rules:
Don't trust the Liar
Don't go in the River
Don't cross the King

I have to say this book took me forever to finish because 1) PhDing is hard and 2) reading slumps are not great. But I decided to wake up at 4AM today to finish it and I did it in one sitting (me is currently sad, this was so much fun).

The Liar of Red Valley is fast paced, fun, creepy, and really well written. Non-spoilery list what is good/I loved:
- The characters and Sadie: dang I loved all of them. The King was creepy as hell, yet very likable? The re's a time traveling gay couple that I would die for. And Sadie is just charismatic, sarcastic, and just fun - one of the best main characters I've encountered in ages.
- The atmosphere: this is a contemporary gothic horror tale set in a small town surrounded by a river (or should I say, The River?).
- The twist(s).
- The ending: dang this was a good ending. I am here pleading to Walter Goodwater to continue the story because I just need more Red Valley.
- How it all made sense. I was scared of reading this book because I was not sure I udnerstood what the Liar was supposed to do from the synopsis and the book did a perfect job at explaining the role. World-building was perfect in the sense that everything is kept secret and all the creepyness came of not knowing which threats were approaching or their names (or their shapes!), it really felt like you were one of the towns people somehow and sort of being "well the King better solve this because I don't even know what this is or if this is a thing, thank you".

Anyways, 100000% recommend this book to everyone who's into darker themes and wants to read something fun.

PS. Dear Mr Goodwater, you're not reading this, but if you do, pease write a sequel. Or a prequel. Or whatever. Thank you in advance and have a good life.

*I received this book for free from NetGalley. This did not affect my opinion at all, this book is just this good and deserves more stars than GR lets me give.

samturnspages's review

Things you need to know: This is a STELLAR urban fantasy. This might now be my favourite standalone in the genre. Thank you so much Netgalley and Rebellion, Solaris for the ARC in exchange for an honest review; I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy come 30th September!

Sadie's mother is The Liar of Red Valley until one day she isn't and the mantle is passed to Sadie herself. She alone is entrusted with the town's secrets and lies; she will will be the one to create them and bring them to life.

I read this in under 24 hours. I could. not. put. it. down. This is an urban fantasy, kind of mixed with a horror - I say kind of a horror because I don't read horror books but this hit the right spot for me. There's also elements of a thriller here and there's just so much to explore. It's hard to believe this book comes in at under 400 pages.

What I liked:
- Sadie is such a well rounded MC. Her life, her friendships and interactions with the towns people
- There's a King. In a small American town, there's a King. It's so implausible and yet it works?! It works so well! The lore around the King and how he came to be in the town is superb.
- The Kings Men kind of gave me Agent vibes from the Matrix franchise and made my skin CRAWL - yes! And don't even get me started on The Laughing Boys.
- At one point I was reading and someone asked me if I was okay because I made a rather rude exclamation at a certain twist/reveal, and I can only applaud a book that makes me do that.

What I didn't like:
- Nothing. I loved this. This book SLAPPED.
- The only thing I'm sad about is that this is intended as a standalone and I think this has the potential to span a series.

Read if you like:
- Urban fantasies - if you liked Lore or liked watching shows like Supernatural and Buffy the Vampire Slayer then I think this is for you!
- Strong badass, morally ambiguous female MCs.
- Complex villains.
- Books that make you gasp and cuss because you can't believe THAT really happened.

Will I reread? Didn't you hear? This is 5 stars; I'd pay to reread this.