All Adults Here by Emma Straub

laurenshikari's review against another edition

This was a pleasant enough read, (although describing it as funny is a bit of a stretch) about small town life, about a family which is borderline dysfunctional, but there is no plot. No story. No conclusion. Its pleasant and doesn't offend. I felt it was a little slow and didn’t always hold my attention or interest, but I liked it.

ptstewart's review against another edition

Motherhood, bullying, pedophilia, infidelity, bisexuality, gender dysphoria, grief, abandonment, marital inequality and unhappiness. I had a professor in undergrad who discussed the idea of “filling buckets” in creative writing, which is essentially the idea that if you bring a subject to the table in a piece, you do need to see it through. I like Straub’s style, and I like character driven stories, but All Adults Here brings up so many topics, so many challenges, and deals with most of them halfway. The problems in Elliot and Nicky’s marriages are never addressed, the pedophilia is never addressed, Astrid’s obsession with Barbara (because it does seem to be an obsession. The arguable link between Barbara’s death and Astrid’s understanding that she won’t live forever is a relatively loose connection with only minimal motivational power) is never addressed. I would then argue this is a story about familial growth and acceptance, or a family learning to communicate, except the inclusion of August/Robyn’s perspective (not story, but perspective itself) makes it a story about something else that is similarly incomplete. I appreciated the style with which Straub integrates narratives about sexuality and gender identity—which is to say those stories don’t eclipse the identities of the characters—but in a story about so many things with so little plot, I’m not sure the inclusion pays off.

melibooks's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

emmakingleberry's review against another edition

This book is perfectly entertaining, an escape from reality into the lives of another family, but nothing more. The narrative keeps you on your toes because the perspective moves among family members with each chapter, but the overall writing is nothing extraordinary.

abigailgardener's review against another edition

Overall, I enjoyed this. It was a sweet read. The writing flowed, and I thought the characters were well-developed and relatable. All the loose ends were tied up neatly at the end, which I was expecting and wasn't mad about at all. However, I was left wanting more; I thought all the storylines were tied up a little too quickly, and there were opportunities to go deeper or further develop relationships between two characters that were missed...the relationship between Astrid and Elliot, for example. To me, it seemed so surface level; their conflicts were resolved so quickly, considering that there was major resentment between the two of them. I loved the characters and the story, which is probably why I was sad that we didn't get more!

jesspsps's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective slow-paced

jessicacoh's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

blee98's review against another edition

hopeful slow-paced

ashleysilver7's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I enjoyed this book set in the fictional town of Clapham, NY (which is supposed to be Upstate). The book follows the lives of the Strick children, who are all grown up except for 13 year old Cecilia. All of the children (and the matriarch, Astrid) have some sort of issue they are dealing with, and things start to unravel after Astrid witnesses her friend, Barbara, get hit by a bus.

cmshaw15's review against another edition