Back in the Burbs by Tracy Wolff, Avery Flynn

mvictoriabooks's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective relaxing

geenamarie7's review against another edition

fast-paced

jodeezle's review

This book was great.
I fell in love with Nick at his first 'you need to mow the lawn'.
Mallory is a recently separated and on her way to being divorced. She has inherited a house from her aunt Maggie which comes at just the right time, as she has been staying with her parents. When she gets to her aunts house it's not quite what she was expecting, but like her with time she will have both her life and the house under control.
Nick is her neighbor, across the street, who was friends with her aunt. He was there for her aunt when Mallory wasn't. He offers to help her when it comes to cleaning out the house and on her divorce. As they grow closer their relationship changes. The question is, is Mallory able to move past her horrible ex-husband who treated her terrible and took advantage of her. It's going to take someone special to show her that not all men, especially if they are attorneys like her ex-husband, are as dumb and horrible as her ex.
This book was a wonderful fast read. I picked it because of the cover and because I have loved every book that Avery Flynn has written. This book, although not hers alone, did not disappoint. This is a book that everyone should read. It has everything, family issues, romance, self realization and long grass. It was funny and there was even a point where I was glad I was reading on my nook. Because had I been reading a paperback I would have thrown the book.
I will definitely be recommending this to my friends.

carolinainbiz's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

meppell's review against another edition

This book is just a string of unfinished storylines and characters that served only to get from one scene to the next. Wish I had DNF but I was holding out hope of getting something with a little meat to conclude at least ONE plot point - spoiler, no luck.

kallipso09's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

candih's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

karamoore418's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

bamcd9's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

jmbibliolater's review against another edition

I really do not know what I just read. Reading Back In the Burbs was like being on a fun roller coaster ride where you are left a bit dizzy and a little out of sorts.

The writing is ranty (yes, that's not a word but how do else do I describe it?) yet witty and filled with pure sarcasm. I laughed or chuckled so often that my husband gave me the side eye on more than one occasion. The characters are all just a little bit eccentric with questionable judgment and loads of baggage. But, I just love the fact Back in the Burbs is a redemption story of a 35 year old women who spent a decade making bad choices that left her at rock bottom.

May we all learn our self-worth and personal power at the rock bottom of a hoarder's house.