Sweatpants Season, by Danielle Allen

obre1289's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

allysonstrable's review

This book just wasn't for me. I thought it was going to be a college romance but what I got was something else entirely. I thought that the FMC was underdeveloped (she fell flat for me) and the MMC was very objectifying - something that I don't like to read about with the main male (or female) character :/ the writing was done poorly (I felt like it was the published version of a Wattpad romance) and overall, it just wasn't my cup of tea

neshababe09's review against another edition

slow-paced

meeshkablack's review against another edition

This was the first book I have read by this author and I absolutely LOVED it!!!!! I love the lesson the male protagonist had to learn and I love how the femail protagonist stuck to what she believed it and wasn't about to sacrafice her beliefs for some good D.
I loved the banter between the two characters, I loved the passion and fire. SMALL SPOILER ... VERY SMALL... If there is one thing that I would say is lacking is some more steep consequences for City Boy, but I suppose just like in real life many times these men never are held accountable for their actions.
The book was well written, witty, funny, relatable, and HOT as hell! I can't wait to check out other books written by this author.
On a side note: I love that this book was available on audio, I love reading and listening to books and I love when authors take the time to release their books on audio, so thanks for that!

kle105's review

Ok, this book was totally a cover made me buy it kind of book. Nevermind that it is fall and grey sweatpants are now everywhere I finally decided to read it.

Akila is a strong independent woman and while taking a class by a well known photographer gets paired up with Carlos. Carlos is serious about the class, as is Akila so they are happy to be paired together. However once Carlos reveals that he is a part of a trio called The Lost Boys who host a podcast called Date Night she is extremely conflicted. The podcast is degrading to women and has a lot of harmful views and advice for men and how they treat women.

This adds a huge can't like him/ like him back and forth that was at times exhausting. While I could see Akila's side to him being a part of the show and therefor condoning the views expressed on the show it was a little overreaching at times.

They were also competing for a single spot for a column and ending up co-writing a column on dating. This led to some pretty fun banter, arguments, and steam.

I think this was a wrong time wrong book for me. It was much heavier than I wanted at the time, and certainly not at all what I was expecting based on the cover. It is also a heavy feminist viewpoint and at times I felt it very judgmental and one sided. I appreciate some of the representation to how women are treated and objectified, problem is I don't think the people that need to see it and understand it are reading this book in order to do anything about it.

turtleberry's review

Great

Can we just talk about Carlos? Truly an amazing character. He had so many layers. I love how just an important topic was laced in with an amazing love story.

candya3's review

Whew!!! The heat!

This book took me through some emotions, and I wanted to slap some folks in this book. But I loved Carlos and Akila, I was expecting the friend from the beginning to be the main man. But I loved it, and the heat in this book was everything. Its almost Sweatpants season again!

indie's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

I love a good enemies to lovers story and this one was great! The tension was *chef's kiss* and it lasted throughout the book. I loved Akila. She was so assertive and put those sexist "podcast men" in their place. Ugh I hated hearing them speak. I also loved Carlos's calm but assertive energy. It made them a great pair. Though I do wish Carlos realized how horrible his podcast friends were and believed Akila the first time when she told him.

frogy927's review

This was a quick read and it delivered on it's gimmick, but beyond that it was just fine.

cowmingo's review

I loved this book. Danielle Allen, you have a new fan in me. This book took me through a roller coaster of emotions from anger to YES GIRL YES to anger back to YES GIRL YES. The book takes on toxic masculinity full force while giving us a romance story at the same time. Long live sweatpants.