To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

annabalch's review

Yessum

hrbumga's review

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic, and it's obvious that it is. To see the world in the story through a child's eyes makes all the difference. The entire story is told in flashback, which allows it to foreshadow future events. The story of Scout, Jem, and Atticus is one I will probably reread many times.

cloudyskies's review

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

taeriewens's review

Having finished it 6 months after starting it, I know I have to reread it some time soon, because there was way too many other assignments and books I had to do and read in between... This books deserves to be read in one breath.

tiannaj's review

Awesome book. Not what I expected, but it was definitely an interesting read!

georgiabroadbentberge's review

I really enjoyed this book. There were some parts that I thought were too far drawn out, but it was a really good read especially before bed. I enjoyed the characters and the story and I’m eager to read Go Set a Watchman to see how that holds up. A timeless novel - I’m always wary of classics because I find they can be problematic at points or just disintresting. This was good.

sararo23's review

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

auntiemaleficent's review

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

dreamwavebooks's review against another edition

4.5*

Okay, wow. I can totally see why this book is so popular and much praised. It took me forever to pick it up, but I'm glad I finally did.

The thing I loved the most about this book is the way Lee has created such a vivid image of the time and place. Everything in this book speaks to itself; the writing, the dialogue, the characters. It doesn't surprise me that Lee has used much of her own experiences to create this book - that real and authentic it feels like.

I loved the characters. Such an unusual thing to tell such story through the eyes of the children, but it works, and it works well. Scout is a very sympathetic character, and her relationship with her brother is something I think many people with siblings will find relatable.

I was a bit surprised to see certain words used in this book, but I suppose it reflects the time and place more than anything. History is what it is, and though fiction, I think this book is a good look into it.

livyene_5826's review