Namesake, by Adrienne Young

belladrogo's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

merlin_reads's review against another edition

First off I have to say, whoever designed these covers was a genius. The way they fit together is just perfect. I love it so much! Anyway, on to the story.

When we last saw Fable she was being kidnapped by a rival ship captain. Once onboard this new ship, she runs into someone from her past she thought was dead. Unfortunately she doesn't have time to deal with that as she's thrust into another scheme against her father. But Fable being who she is, is unwilling to just go along quietly and she starts making plans of her own - often at the risk of others.

While the first book was a get to know the cast book, Namesake really dives in to the heart of Fable. We already know who she is now, but we finally get to explore where she came from and learn more about her mother. I loved the history that was revealed and how every single person had an angle so you never really knew what was up.

But while I loved the story, I was frustrated with Fable a lot. I felt for the crew of the Marigold because Fable couldn't really see past her own wants and often times put everyone around her in jeopardy. She very much plays with people's futures in a very careless way and that hurts. Especially because of how much I've come to love this crew and how well they work together.

I love scheming books and I had tons of fun trying to figure out how the crew was going to get out of this and have some semblance of a happy ending. This was a great conclusion to the duology of Fable's story. And it just cemented Young as one of my favorite authors.

jessthebookworm's review against another edition

Fable thinks that her and her new found crew are free to live their lives. But she finds herself caught up in the politics of the trade council and finds herself having to enter into agreements with Holland, a powerful gem trader trying to take over all of the trade routes.

Fable needs to learn more about her parents and their secrets so that she can fully understand herself. All the while keeps causing trouble for the boy she loves, and keeps putting him in impossible situations.

Fable made some seriously questionable decisions in this book, which did annoy me a little bit. I would have liked a deeper look into the characters which I found was a bit lacking. But all in all this is a fun pirate story, filled with magical language and pretty gem stones. It was an enjoyable read overall.

piperashley21's review against another edition

This is, without a doubt, a new favorite duology!

The characters are richly detailed, morally questionable in a pirate-esque way, and the story was full of twists and turns.

I also am in love with the way Young writes. I have so many highlighted passages because her word choice is lyrically beautiful.

If you like books about sailing ships, nuanced characters, strong female leads and adventure, I highly recommend these books!

elladunker's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

weecha22's review against another edition

This series is perfection. It just sucks you in and keeps you on your toes. And damn did I cry at the end with her dad. I’m such a sucker for it.

rose_thorn2020's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

luzmaria_312's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful tense medium-paced

annyslibrary's review against another edition

Closing a book with a contented sigh is one of the best feelings as a bookworm. I did call quite a few things out before they happened, but still enjoyed the journey alongside Fable as she learned things in her own pace. That's the thing with this douology, it felt like I was with Fable on the adventures of finding out who her parents were, why she was left on Jeval and what these truths meant for her future.

read_plan_laundry's review against another edition

Very happy with this story and how everything turned out.