whiteraven191's review against another edition

The science in this book is kind of ridiculous. It's an enjoyable ridiculous, but I was hoping for something a bit more realistic. I also wasn't a fan of the romance. The guy basically stalks his love interest to her home. This does get called out in the narration, but when the female lead finds out about it, she just kind of handwaves it and there are no consequences for his actions at all. That annoyed me.

erikashmerika's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

lisafrancine's review against another edition

3.5/5 stars

sheeny's review against another edition

2.5 ⭐

elvis_waugh's review against another edition

Yes! What a ride! Fungus, Cordyceps novus, a patient, tenacious and ingenious organism. All it wants to do is eat and reproduce and does this at such a blistering pace that there might be a threat to humanity as we know it. No, it's okay. It's been contained in cold storage …

This would make a thrilling movie. Rag tag characters inadvertently caught up in containing the fungus under the guidance of a retired Pentagon specialist in bioterrorism.

Break neck speed, gory and darkly funny. Love to see some of the fungus' escapades on the big screen, especially with its thought processes vocalised. So cunning.

neilsb's review against another edition

tense fast-paced

booknerd85's review against another edition

The flawed internal logic and the story that never went deeper than surface level bothered me. I expected more.

soojaymax's review against another edition

A terrifying story with great character development, especially the fungus, that gets bogged down by tedious description. Virtually nothing the characters do is left to the imagination. Every breath and cigarette inhalation is described. This is probably not fair to the author because I loved the intense descriptions of the fungus’ thoughts. I was hooked from the very beginning and enjoyed most of it.

caomhin's review against another edition

Not all heroes wear Doc Martins, but Dr Hero Martins... Okay, okay, that's a cheap joke but it fits. The story starts in 1987 and the first few chapters read like an 80s action movie. And yes, there really is a Dr Hero Martins. But, just when I was starting to think the scariest part of this book was the barrage of cliches the story found it's feet and things started to pick up. Given Koepp is a very accomplished screenwriter it isn't particularly surprising that it never fully shakes that Hollywood movie-feel throughout, but it makes for an enjoyable read.

That introductory 80s section isn't a great way to get you hooked on the book because there is a tone shift once we get up to date. But, for me, that was a definite shift for the better. Sure, we never go full horror or have too much suspense, but we do get a dose of tension and the characters are actually enjoyable. And that's it, it's a hamburger book - it fills a gap and leaves you satisfied. But we all know there are bacon cheeseburgers out there that deliver more. You can either sit with your hamburger moaning and whining that you wanted cheese, or you can tuck into a perfectly good hamburger and enjoy the pleasures of something simpler. Because it's a great hamburger. If you need all the trimmings every single time you'll come away a little bit wanting. But if you enjoy a cut back classic that's done well, this is exactly what you need. Grab it and enjoy. Too much cheese is bad for you anyway.

drewsof's review against another edition

The best kind of summer reading, the kind that zips by in about two sittings and is gonna make a mediocre semi-star vehicle in a few years. (That last bit is a reference to the fact that the author is best-known as a screenwriter and boy does it show.)

Things move VERY quickly, there's a great dose of body horror, there are some good knocks at white supremacists, bureaucracy, and the idiotic governmental decisions that've led us to this point in our planet's fitful life. The action is swift and clear, the characters are pretty one-note but in ways that feel ultimately comforting instead of annoying (again, b/c you can already see the movie of it all AND b/c the timeline doesn't really allow for much development beyond "OH SHIT"), and the resolution is about as happymaking (if (slightly(....very)) implausible) as it can be. Would go see it in a theater on a hot summer afternoon w/ nothing better to do, and definitely don't mind having read it.