What We Don't Talk About When We Talk about Fat, by Aubrey Gordon

eldritchcow's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective sad slow-paced

this was a very good book! i had to take breaks in places tho bc, due to how little progress there has been made in the world of fat justice, it was a little doomer in places and it made me Sad.

alyssagb's review

challenging informative medium-paced

oliviachen7's review

In this book combining personal stories and research on anti-fat bias, Gordon lays bare the multitude of ways society dehumanizes and systemically discriminates against fat people. The essays forced me to examine my own biases around the deeply ingrained association between thinness and morality. I appreciated the way she educates readers on the terms fat activists use or don't like, and how she methodically unravels the defenses people use to conceal their judgment ("I'm just concerned for your health"). I'd recommend this book to everyone — thank you Sangeetha + Christine for sharing it with me.

katyfranc's review

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

smute's review

informative inspiring reflective

carolinereed04's review

adventurous challenging informative medium-paced

howlsmovingbookstagram's review

What We Don't Talk About When We Talk About Fat? Well, we definitely don't talk about the difference between health and body weight and how separate those issues are most of the time. We also don't talk about how the work "obese" has become a slur against fat people. We thirdly don't talk about how western culture depicts fat people as undeserving of accommodation, love, sex, friendship, well-fitting clothes, equal pay, jobs in positions of authority, or the same levels of dignity and value as thin people. Fat people deserve more than just tolerance, we deserve acceptance and celebration. We deserve a world where we aren't constantly compared to thin people and found to be "too much" or "not enough." Fat people deserve justice and retribution for lost jobs, lost wages, underpaying, snide and discriminatory comments from co-workers and bosses.

I loved the attention to intersectionality in this book. So often fatness is seen through the lens of whiteness and cis/het normativity. The author is herself queer and that affects her experience with her sexuality and her body. BIPOC fat people live a different experience from white fat people. Disability and fatness intersect in unique ways. This book tackles the complex relationships between fatness and other signifiers of identity.

This book is necessary and should be required reading for people who have ever looked at a fat person and thought, "at least I don't look like you." It's time to acknowledge and dismantle your thin privilege and how you contribute to fatphobia and the discrimination of fat people if you've ever posted a "before and after" weight loss photo to your social media. This book both empowered me as a fat person and galvanized my intentions to support other fat people who experience shame and hate (street harassment, discrimination by airline etc) that my own 'smaller fat' privilege saves me from (term as defined by Gordon). Because having a body is a multi-layered, multi-faceted experience and we can all learn to be allies to those who are facing prejudice.

jalynd5630's review

informative fast-paced

blooker's review

Concise, clear detailing of systematic mistreatment of fat people, as well as the interpersonal bias perpetuated upon them told via combination of personal anecdotes and summarization of studies and data. Our US culture is shitty to fat people, and people/systems are justified in treating fat people shitty because of misinformation about the connection between body weight and health, as well as cultural beauty standards. Gordon's writing is easy, like a friend sharing super interesting stuff they've learned, and I'd recommend this quick read to everyone.

cestmerveilleux's review