Wonderstruck by Allie Therin

selinanoelle's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious relaxing tense fast-paced

lezreadalot's review

“It’s adorable you think I need hard evidence of danger to worry about you. It’s like you’ve never even met me.”

3.5 stars. Super emotionally satisfying. With this final instalment, I didn't have the most success with keeping my mind fixed on the world-building and plot and all the travelling, but the romance arc was just... chef's kiss perfection. I love Rory and Arthur so so much. Their relationship is where this author's writing shines the most. The hurdles that they have to cross and the conflicts that crop up in their relationship are more or less common in romance, but fit in really well with their characters and this paranormal setting. A lot of rich/poor romances have conflicts where the poorer person doesn't want to be dependent on the richer person, but this handled it in an actually meaningful way that took societal issues into account. There were soooo many good romantic scenes, and even though I wanted them to talk more, when they did it was always perfect. Arthur remains the hugest sweetheart on the planet. Outside of the romance, I still liked this, though not as much as I wanted to. The villain was appropriately creepy and very evil, though he didn't quiiiite live up to the build-up. I'm not totally satisfied with how some of the character arcs wrapped up, especially Gwen and Ellis. Coming down to the end I feel like there were just too many characters on page/that we had to keep in mind. It might have just been my fault, not really being able to keep them fixed in my brain.

I listened to the audiobook for this, and that might have been part of my problem. I really didn't like this narrator. There was nothing really bad about his work; it just did not gel with me and didn't fit with the characters at all. My mind kept drifting away and I did have a hard time concentrating. I already owned the first two ebooks in the series, and I might have bought the third too, except it seemed silly to do so when the audio was available to borrow. But ooof. It turned out to be kind of a chore, and I ended up speeding this up more than I usually do with audiobooks. Again, nothing super objectionable about the narrator; there are just some voices I love and some I don't, and this unfortunately fell into the latter category.

The magic system and world-building never really struck a chord with me, but I'm still glad I read this, for the paranormal/historical romance.

“I am here. Maybe one day that won’t surprise you any more.”

wabbitrabbit's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

napthenknit's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

wildfaeriecaps's review

Good gods, I needed that. Ace and Rory are just amazing and I missed them so much. This wrapped everything up so well. I cried big, fat, ugly tears on more than one occasion and grinned like a dork on others. I'm going to miss the whole gang, but rest assured this series is going in the "comfort read" pile.

RE-READ: still love it. still wish there were more books (both in the series and by the author). suppose I'll have to learn patience, huh?

theamyleblanc's review

I savored this one. It's been so long since I read a series this compelling, this consuming, that the thought of it being over was too much for me (even if it's just a temporary ending).

I loved that we got to see a bit more into Rory and Arthur's inner workings, both separately and together. It was another layer that I treasured. These two snuck their way into my heart and I couldn't help but cheer for them. I got so involved in the story that I missed clues I'd normally pick up on, and I loved that.

It was nice that we saw more of the other paranormals using their magic. It's always interesting to see the interplay between those forces. Jade and Gwen are both such badasses; I'm glad they were more prominent in this one. And even Ellis and Sebastian had their moments. It became more of an ensemble piece and I appreciated it.

The historical accuracy still bothered me but a little less so in this one not because it was more accurate but because I stopped really caring. They were in Paris! It was beautiful.

Without spoiling anything, the ending was perfect. The door is wide open for a continuation of Rory and Arthur's story, but we don't need to have it. There was a small sense of closure, of completeness, with this ending. I'll be sad if it stops here but I'm mostly just grateful I found this series.

Thank you, Allie!

noalrmall's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

emilybordelovewrites's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful

kaitlin_durante's review against another edition

What a fabulous ending to this adventure.
Arthur and Rory have been such a fun couple to see grow and change together.
The darkness of blood magic is heavy in this book and you just want to see everyone safe and happy.

namaenani's review against another edition

A lovely conclusion to the trilogy :)

I continue to be blown away by how far ahead the author is laying groundwork for future stories.