There There by Tommy Orange

adrianabg's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced

sometimes_i_write_things's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

beerosebel's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

kaityhutch's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

colleend's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

mofongobookclub's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective fast-paced

Why did I wait so long to read this?!
Happy to join the There There fan club & will happily read anything Orange writes.
The writing is sooo good! I really appreciated how he weaved in history but also showcasing current lives of natives. I liked how all the characters came together in the end. There were some twists that I didn’t expect that worked to connect the characters.

You really get drawn in and become invested in the lives of every character he introduces. While I love multiple POV books, at first I was overwhelmed by the number of characters. Orange did a great job telling their stories. In my opinion each character was well developed and unique but the commonality of what being native means to them & their experiences tie it all together so well. Literally all of these characters could have their own book! My favorite character was Orvil. I had such a soft spot for him & the way Orange navigated the messy but relatable complexity of trying to find yourself & connect to a culture deemed “unimportant”. Also the ending - TEARSSS for Orvil!

This is a powerful story of urban natives, it had me going through so many emotions; anger, sadness, joy some confusion. I absolutely loved it & def recommend, if you read it, let me know what you thought!

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75

P.S. that cast of characters was extremely helpful & I def kept referencing it! Anytime a book has that or a family tree I’m all the way in

kenz07's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

sumwab's review against another edition

funny hopeful sad tense slow-paced

thezoetrope's review against another edition

dark emotional informative reflective medium-paced

A perfect read for people like me who want to learn about Native Americans' history and heritage through fiction. Orange paints so many different yet similar characters that you will love to learn to know: who they are and what they are going through at a precise moment in their life, the impact their past had on them and how they will all beautifully but painfully come together. While highly accessible, the book is filled with representation of Indian culture, while constantly questioning the meaning of being an Indian American today.

I got a little bit confused at some point with all the different characters involved but the chapters are short and give a good rhythm to the book. A very poetic read that also feels like mourning somehow – I was particularly hit by the Interlude passage about white privilege.

A must read!