Reviews tagging Mental illness

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

bansheebooks's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I can totally see why a ton of people love this. It's a very wholesome romance that I think is just supposed to make the reader feel good. The characters are all good people who want the best for each other. There was nothing 'wrong' with the plot or characters.

It's not perfect for me because it didn't emotionally hit me like it has for others but definitely a good book with no glaring issues.

Also the way it handles abuse and shitty partners is very good. I don't or am not close with anyone with a chronic illness but I can imagine how much Chloe meant to a lot of readers who can relate to her on that front.

The audiobook narrator did not match well with the tone of this book however.

cemeterygay's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

This was a pretty great romance book but the sheer amount of miscommunication just killed me.

It's a cute and fun romance with a great sense of humor that is written so cleverly.

The best part of this book is Hibbert's writing style. With the exception of a few bizarre word choices during sex scenes, the way Talia Hibbert writes is always so enjoyable. The balance between humor and description works fantastically and the jokes keep the pace quick enough to keep your attention. The detail to the romantic scenes is always so great and sweet.

Before I get into the other aspects I adore in this book, I need to take a moment two express the only strong issues I have with this book. One, the sheer amount of miscommunication killed me. Watching two grown adults have the communication skills of two teenagers in their first high school romance hurt me so deeply. The only positive about this is that it is over relatively quickly so it doesn't take up too much of the book. Two, I think Red is a pretty meh love interest. He's okay, I like the vibes but is very much outshone by Chloe.

I cannot highlight how much I adore the cast but particularly Chloe Brown. Chloe is just such an amazing main protagonist. She has such a distinct personality and has a charm that really makes you want to root for her. I love the way both disability and past instances of abuse are talked about. I adore Chloe's relationships with her family and Hibbert does a fantastic job at writing family dynamics specifically sisters. It is an underrated skill but one that Hibbert has absolutely mastered.

The romance in this book just is so great and I love the framing of Chloe's list.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to both lovers of romance and people getting into romance.

lisakate1126's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

I loved this book SO much! It was cute and a little spicy and had a disabled black woman as the main character (love the representation!). I think that Chloe’s disability was handled well in that it showed how much it affects her everyday life and also how she doesn’t necessarily want it to define her. The book is predictable, but it made me happy! I can’t wait to read the rest of the series and more by this author!

ynbushehri's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

janeesjournal's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny informative inspiring medium-paced

Ein wirklich tolle Romanze und vor allem wird ein wirklich wichtiges Thema angesprochen, dass viele leider noch gar nicht kennen.

Die Charaktere an sich auch recht divers für NA Bücher, was das ganze noch besser gemacht hat. Die Repräsentation verschiedenster Sachen war in diesem Buch wirklich top und ich freue mich schon auf die Romanzen der anderen Brown-Geschwister.

Die Handlung entwickelt sich zwar slow, aber auch sehr romantisch und passt einfach perfekt zu den Charakteren (und es gibt natürlich auch etwas spice, wofür sich das warten lohnt).

Beide Protagonisten sind sehr gut ausgearbeitet und haben mit ihren eigenen psychischen und physischen Problemen zu kämpfen. Besonders Chloes Krankheit wurde sehr gut dargestellt, obwohl das Krankheitsbild so unterschiedlich sein kann und da ich die selbe Erkrankung habe, konnte ich besonders mit Chloe und ihrem Lebensstil mitfühlen.
Auch andere wichtige Themen wie toxische Beziehungen und seelischer Missbrauch wurden angesprochen und gut damit umgegangen.

janeeyrewearsprada's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

annieundomielf's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted

a prickly, chronically ill mc?? an enemies to lovers romance?? healthy healing?? this is the content i am here for

ngm's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective fast-paced

ne3ne3tea's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring relaxing medium-paced

cerilouisereads's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

I enjoyed this book but there was a little more swearing and explicit content then I would usually go for