Rejoice by Karen Kingsbury, Gary Smalley

brighteyes0812's review against another edition

Enjoyed this book even though I thought it was a bit similar to the first book in the series. I liked the message of rejoicing the tragedies as much as the happy moments

toellethebooks's review

With the first three books, it took time before I got hooked with the story. But with this fourth book, I can say that the story was way more interesting and heart-wrenching.

I was hospitalized for a month in 2019 and reading Brooke's perspective made me ache for my mom because that must be how she felt as I lay down hurting in the hospital bed for a month. I really sobbed thinking about Hayley and prayed with them that she gets better. This story really affected me and made me realize also the miracles the Lord did with my life.

What I also really like about this series is that it tackles the everyday and the controversial issues that Christian deal with. It emphasizes the fact that Christians are human too but the grace of God is what sets us apart.

mikaela_wade's review against another edition

~ Audiobook Review ~

Wow, this book was hard to read at times, lots of trajedy and suffering! I really enjoyed it though, this series keeps getting better and I get more hooked. I loved the way Brooke learnt to look for God’s goodness even in the darkest of situations, that God can bring good from what the enemy means for evil.

Characters: This book focuses on Brooke and her family, but her parents and siblings also have continuing storylines and major events. I’ve included these spoilers so I can remember in the future what happens in each siblings life:
Spoiler•Brooke’s daughter Haylee drowns and Peter gets addicted to drugs
•Luke & Reagan get married
•Ashley is still pushing Landon away based on her diagnosis, raising Cole, still working at the altsheimers home.
•Landon gets a promotion with the fire station
•Landon proposes a second time
•Elizabeth is feeling tired from the weight of the family troubles.
•Irvel passed away

Series: This is book 4 in the redemption series and is definitely written to be read in order. But Karen does a good job at filling in the main details that you can read it without reading previous books but highly recommended to start from the start.

Content: I feel this series contains mature content. I really like the strong personal Christian faith that Karen Kingsbury has and reveals through her stories as a major theme in her novels. Some of the content includes:
Spoilerdrug addiction, suicide, drowning, aids, divorce, child with brain damage

Book recommendations:

Audio Performance: 8/10
In this Abridged version Sandra gives a fully voiced performance (meaning each character is given a unique sounding voice) she reads nicely and was relaxing to listen to. Sandra narrates the entire series which is nice to keep consistency.

Author: [a: Karen Kingsbury|3159984|Karen Kingsbury|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1458747158p2/3159984.jpg] & [a: Gary Smalley|7362|Gary Smalley|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1378051202p2/7362.jpg]
Narrator: Sandra Burr
Length: 4hrs (Abridged)
Book Published: 22-Mar-2004
Audio Released: 1-Apr-2004
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Platform: christianaudio.com

abigailkayharris's review against another edition

I connected with this book so much . . . Yes, Kingsbury writes books that hit home but for me this is one of the closest to anything I experienced, and it broke my heart more than her other books, just wow. This book is realistic and the characters feel so real that I was right there with them. If you try one out the author's books try this one. I'm sure you won't regret it.

vcarter's review against another edition

emotional hopeful

rebar351's review against another edition

I really enjoyed Rejoice, another great book by Karen Kingsbury. Excited to read the last book in the redemption series.

shammons's review against another edition

Read in 2006

kentuckybooklover's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

stephanywrites's review against another edition

Another phenomenal book by Karen Kingsbury. This one mostly followed the lives of Peter and Brooke, who have two daughters -- Maddie and Hayley. Their marriage is falling apart and when tragedy hits their family... a lot more than their marriage suffers.

There are a lot of opinions on the way Kingsbury writes. She doesn't play around with the Christian themes and can be quite hardcore. But I like that about her. She is completely real and honest and hold-no-prisoners with her approach.

shellyk51's review against another edition

I am so fascinated by this series. Karen has fast become one of my favorite authors. in this 4th book of the series, you will experience all types of emotions. In the town of bloomington, we have tragedy, love, sadness, marriages, and health crisises. Yet through all this, the Baxter family remains firm in their belief in God. As I finished the book this evening, my favorite part is that Landon and Ashley are finally engaged. I have been rooting for them since the begging. You can't read this book without feeling that you are part of the Baxter family. It's like being there.