The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey

cefuller's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

rima_reads10's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring

lannthacker's review

Poorly written and, by his own admission, not terribly innovative but (eventually) full of practical advice to put down the plastic and set yourself up for comfortable living.

late_night_r3ader's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring medium-paced

daynaleigh's review

Some of the chapters did not apply to my situation, but the chapters that did shed some light on spending habits and what can be done to save and build wealth.

patsee's review

To not waste words on this, don't follow this advice unless you have the money financially and just need to learn how to manage it better.

michellehenriereads's review

Dave Ramsey has an entertaining manner to teach basic concepts of good money management. Even he explains that there is nothing new in his program, it is the wisdom of how grandma lived. He includes giving to others, as a tithe, which is taught in the Bible. Paying yourself is also an important principle, and that the necessities must be met before paying off debt.

He breaks down the process of getting out of debt into baby steps. Succeeding in small goals help keep the people doing his program motivated to continue. The final step is a reward much bigger than just getting out of debt; you find peace, strength in your marriage and build a foundation to change your family forever.

To read the full review go to http://talesuntangled.wordpress.com

villianess's review

If everyone would put this type of system (if not this exact system) to work we would have more money to share and less stress in our lives.
Whether you like David Ramsey or not isn't the point of this book. Getting out of debt, having your money work for you, and being responsible for what you have been given is the basis behind his success.

I like his motto:
If you LIVE like no one else,
You will LIVE like no one else.

If you take control of our money now, it will take care of you later. I would encourage everyone to listen/read to this book.

cari1268's review

I wanted to love this book more than I did. While I thoroughly enjoyed and agreed with Dave's advice, I didn't find it as easily applicable to my personal financial situation. Part of this might be because the first half of the book focused on how to become debt free-which is not a problem for me. Therefore, I read the first part giving myself a mental pat on the back and then the last half (which talks about saving) feeling slightly panicked. I actually closed the book feeling overwhelmed and discouraged.

My biggest beef with the book is that Dave never directly addressed those with lower salaries. There were a few personal stories of people who made less and succeeded financially. But Dave didn't address those struggling to make ends meet who are not riddled with debt. Maybe this is just a flaw in financial books period since I had the same beef with the last one I read.

Overall, this provided some sound financial advice that might be harder to follow for those with lower salaries.

Three Stars.

mkko61's review

Highly recommend the audio version of the book.