The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey

squidsmash's review against another edition

challenging hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

rachelellyn's review

Simple, straightforward advice that’s worth listening to for a recharge of your money strategy.

oleafia's review

This is a very short book, but has a lot of good information. I am a big fan of Dave’s snowball method of paying off debt. He will shame you, and Dave values sacrifice a lot. It’s a very Christian way of approaching money. You will also be called stupid. I did not appreciate that and could deal without any of the condescension. The book is a little outdated now, but most of the advice still holds. If you are Christian the book will hit home more as the tone is like a sermon. If you are not Christian (like me) it’s still good information.

michelleloretta's review

Ramsey's plan gets 5 stars. It's a common sense approach that works... it's simple if you are committed to being debt-free. (There is no magic here and I like that.) And if you've never read anything about personal finance (and have never as much as put a personal budget together) this is a MUST read. If you know the basics of personal finance, the book lacks oomph... But, then again, that's not Ramsey's audience. I also don't like to mix religion with money (he does a little) - but to each his own.

beckimoody29's review

The best way to achieve financial fitness: write a book with some recycled tips on budgeting, add a bunch of testimonials from your rabid fans, and guilt people into buying it.

There are some useful suggestions IF you are someone who has some disposable income and just needs to get your credit card debt under control. However, there are a LOT of people who live paycheck to paycheck, with no money at the end of the month. Most of them could not come up with $100 extra, let alone $1000. There was a time when everything i owned (including my car) was not worth $1000. He assumes well-paying jobs and cheap rent in his suggestions.

Unfortunately, it is often recommended as being the solution for everyone. If you can't pay your basic expenses, the few dollars you get from cutting luxuries won't help much. (What luxuries?!?) Getting another job can help some people, but if you spend more on childcare or transportation, it doesn't add much to the budget. And having a yard sale doesn't earn money if nothing you own is worth anything anyway.

There are stories of people who have committed suicide after trying Ramsey's methods and failing. I agree with prudent money management and financial responsibility, but their are other issues that are never addressed here since Ramsey himself benefits greatly from a society of wealth inequity.

Try it but take his suggestions with a grain of salt.

arbarraclough's review against another edition

At first, I didn't think that I would enjoy this book because from what I'd heard of Dave Ramsey online, I thought he would be shoving the word of God down my throat throughout this book but I'm happily mistaken.

The principles that he teaches in this book are sound and he writes in such a succinct and clear way that it made the book enjoyable and easy to read. After reading this book, I started listening to his daily podcast show which I now highly recommend.

thebookcurio's review against another edition

informative reflective fast-paced

Simple and straightforward

evrybdylvskris's review against another edition

informative fast-paced

anetherealpursuit's review

The actual practical advice didn’t come until halfway through this book which is why I haven’t given it a higher rating. Some good advice in here (mostly common sense that isn’t actually so common) but unfortunately the book was mostly the author repeating himself constantly, and sharing way more success stories than was necessary; essentially wasting pages and my time. If you’re particularly shit with money though and need to be told the same thing over and over again, it might be worth your time.

penws3593's review against another edition

There are some good tips in this book, but I found the writing style a little crazy at times. Parts are *viscerally* American, I have never read a book where the author earnestly quotes Jesus and P.T Barnum in the same paragraph. His overuse of buzzwords felt a little exhausting at times. Ultimately though, I thought it had some good financial knowledge that was imparted in a digestible way.