Heartless by Gail Carriger

mariathelibrarian's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

sandygx260's review

Far superior to the previous book in the series. Fun, silly and gives me the hope that people understand parody.

ms_chievous's review

3.75 out of 5 stars.

Oh, I was bothered that the men from OBO made a short appearance (which I thought would have been cause for worry) and then Poof! Nothing else about them.

Overall I found this book fun. More of a filler book, but still enjoyable.

jgintrovertedreader's review

Alexia Maccon, nee Tarrabotti, is back in residence at Woolsey Castle. She's gloriously pregnant, not very happy with the way the infant-inconvenience is trying to slow her down, and firmly resolved to keep on with her daily business as usual. When a ghost appears to her and manages to gasp out a warning about a plot on the Queen's life, Alexia starts trying to stop events before they get out of hand.

Alexia is back and how I do love her! I haven't reviewed Blameless because I was a little disappointed in it. Not that it wasn't good--it was--it just didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations I have for this series. With Heartless, I feel that we're back on track.

What I really love about this series is the characters. They are all just so memorable! We're getting up to a pretty big cast now and I have no trouble keeping track of them. Of course soulless, pragmatic Alexia is far and away my favorite, but Lord Maccon, Lord Akeldama, Madame Lefoux, Floote, Biffy, Ivy--I just love them all. I sit reading, grinning like an idiot, with the occasional giggle (Zombie porcupines? Really?) and laughter (There's a new character at the end whom I just can't wait to see more of).

This being a book about Alexia Maccon, the action is of course practically nonstop, if leaning a bit more toward waddling than striding. I would snatch it up every chance I got just to read a few more lines. The climax has to last 50 pages but it never flagged; it just kept getting better and better. By the time things wrapped up, I was delighted with how thoroughly Ms. Carriger had managed to shake up London's supernatural scene.

Read this series for smart, tongue-in-cheek humor with characters whom you will immediately love.

fae713's review

This is, so far, my favorite book in the Parasol Protectorate series. Mostly because we get to see more of Lord Akeldama and there is some really interesting tension going on in the background with poor Biffy. We also learned much more about Lady Maccon's father and Floote, who is probably the most interesting character in the series despite not actually saying much at all. Actually, there is a lot that goes on in this book regarding all the supporting cast that it is hard not to either like, hate or pity them as individuals rather than view them as merely people that move the plot along.

The introduction of short, mysterious POV sections was interesting. It lent more mystery to the book and gave astute readers the chance to keep a step or two ahead of the mystery as the characters began to unwind it. I won't say that I was one of those astute readers, at least not until several of said POV sections had been read. For those like me, they give the book a greater sense of mystery.

circuit333's review

adventurous funny hopeful mysterious fast-paced

extrasmallburger's review

This one was absolutely better than book two also. Something just really got to me about the dialogue in that particular book between Alexia and Conall. This one is way more entertaining and clever. A guilty pleasure for sure, but only slightly. It's quite an adventure, and I love the character of Alexia.

dinnureads's review against another edition

And here comes Prudence...:D This book in the series was especially entertaining and fun to read. Only Alexia could twist things in such an interesting way :D

bethbock27's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

readingjag's review

Mostly skimmed. At this point I feel like the charm of the series has worn off and I just want to see how it ends. I'm still not enchanted at all with most of Carriger's pet characters (Lord Akeldama, I'm looking at you). Some of the pregnancy stuff was funny.