The Quiet at the End of the World by Lauren James

lilirc246's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

rbouwmeester's review against another edition

Not the typical end of the world, everyone dies, total destruction and misery all around kind of story that I usually enjoy, but an enjoyable book overall.

That being said, the scientific accuracy is just... bad. That's all the words I want to spend on that.

3⭐

elenaaabtz's review

adventurous challenging funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective relaxing medium-paced

t0mmi3's review against another edition

I’m not counting this book as a read because I didn’t “personally” read it, but my for class (all of the form classes) in my new school did! We all had read a little bit of the page 3 days a week and I kind of liked it! The ending is pretty good and I liked how it ended. Long story short- I enjoyed the book :)

riverspages's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

i was so so excited when i picked up this book bc it had such a wonderful concept which is very interesting to read about post-covid and with everything we hear on the news these days, but… i didn’t end up loving it as much as i wanted to.

one of my biggest gripes with this book is the lack of information we got about how humans were able to create and turn the babygrows into living, fully intelligent, and perfectly capable human-like robots. as i had predicted the reveal that everyone shen and lowrie were interacting with were actually babygrows (like i had every other reveal - unfortunately this book was way too predictable), i was waiting for a really cool, fascinating explanation as to how humans managed to create the capabilities to allow that to happen, but we never got that, we were just told to believe it… well, there’s only so far i can suspend my disbelief, unfortunately. also, shen and lowrie’s eventual kiss felt so random and weird, but maybe i just feel that way because i found myself not caring a second about that relationship… i really didn’t care if they got together or not.

HOWEVER, i absolutely loved learning about maya and how it all started, and i thought the ending was very bittersweet and made me feel hopeful which is always nice.

mtaltos's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

talyasj's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

ihatefantasy_carebear's review

So predictable but good
can we just take a second for how predictable this book is because the min the baby bots are mentioned you know the whole plot of the book? But at the same time it is good

mbenzz's review against another edition

I loved this book. I was unable to get in on the Kindle or Audible as it's a UK published book, so I had to read an actual dead-tree paperback book (something I haven't done in YEEEEAAARS) like a barbarian, but it was definitely worth it.

It's 2109, and Lowrie and Shen are the youngest humans on the planet, by a good 60 some-odd years. A virus back in 2024 made everyone on earth sterile. What the virus was and where it came from is not the focus of this story (we never find out). The main focus is Lowrie (16) and Shen (17) coming to terms with what it means to be the last. Learning who they are and where they came from. They've been raised by a small (300 or so people) but loving community of octogenarians in central London who have been teaching them how to survive on their own in the future.

The story is also a glimpse back in time via downloaded and saved social media posts. Lowrie follows the posts of a young woman from the first days of the virus all the way through to the end of her life, as she chronicles what life is like in the immediate aftermath and the ensuing years, how society initially panics then adapts to the hard truth of no more babies being born.

Between all the information she finds out online and an emergency rapidly getting worse within her own community, Lowrie and Shen learn that everything they thought they knew about their lives and their community and even their purpose on this planet has been wrong.

This was such a great read. It's not action-packed or high drama, but it's a quiet novel with a slow-burn tension that is deeply unsettling. Especially considering what our world looks like at the moment. There's a pretty big twist that I did not see coming and loved. Sure, I figured it out a little bit before Lowrie did, but even still, I did NOT expect the story to go that way!

Overall, I loved it. I'm so glad I read this...even if I had to lay down my beloved Kindle to do it. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who appreciates this genre. It's such a great story.

hollyamber's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful reflective medium-paced

Plotline: Lowrie and Shen will be the last two humans on Earth after a virus caused infertility in the human race. As an illness spreads amongst the existing community, Lowrie and Shen uncover secrets that make them rethink the future of life on Earth.

I really enjoyed this Dystopian story but really felt it needed to be a series of books! I enjoyed the concept though - a storyline that was interesting and thought provoking about how humans would react to such a situation.