Melissa by Alex Gino

majabwds's review against another edition

This book is simply written but so beautiful. I really enjoyed it. I loved how there wasn't an explosion of emotions. Most of the emotions (positive or negative) were subtle. And I liked how unexpected some of the character's actions were.

I also love that the audiobook is narrated by Jamie Clayton.

karrama's review

George is Alex Gino's first foray into fiction writing and is a welcome effort that adds diversity to the shelves. They have produced a novel with some believable side characters and a lot of heart, but it wasn't my favorite book on the topic. I found the writing depended on genre and literary tropes that the reader can identify with that might be useful to pull in young readers, but that I would have loved to have avoided to get closer to Melissa/George.

calliebymyname's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

gmc16's review

hopeful inspiring medium-paced

majkabe's review against another edition

short & sweet. my only issue is deadnaming the girl in the book title, but i believe this was fixed in the newer editions

gab_l23's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

bookph1le's review against another edition

This book provoked many emotional reactions from me. I really felt Melissa's pain, as I imagined trying to bear pretending to be someone you aren't. It made me think about how many kids are forced to deny their true selves, and how unbearable it would be to worry that the world would reject you for simply being who you are.

I think this is a great book for helping kids to develop some compassion for others, since it does encourage the reader to see the world through Melissa's eyes.

uutopicaa's review

Buena idea mal equilibrada. Muy pronto subo la reseña.

acrosspages's review against another edition

El tema principal de George es su vida sabiendo que es una chica dentro del cuerpo de un chico; queriendo hacer cosas de chicas y teniendo que suprimirlo por la gente que lo rodea.
Es un libro bastante simple, y está escrito para niños; por lo cual el planteamiento es básico, empieza despacio y continua despacio. Se desenvuelve a partir de una acción que quiere realizar siendo del género opuesto y sabiendo que su madre y los demás lo van a notar. Permanentemente quiere comunicarse, y explicarse a los demás.

Se aborda desde una perspectiva social y psicológica, en parte, ya que vemos el inside de la mente de una persona transgénero. En mi opinión es un tema original. Hasta ahora no había visto ni leído nada en primera persona sobre una mujer transgénero o sobre la comunidad en sí. Y hay que tener en cuenta también, que este libro fue publicado en el año 2015.

Leer más...

jadziaaudrey's review

emotional hopeful informative tense fast-paced