Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

iblyth's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

ericthec's review against another edition

This is old school DnD fiction that I should have read when it came out. I did the audio book at it was top-notch. It really holds up and its fun. The Drow are a great subject and the intrigue and politics in this evil world were really well drawn.
The names get a little funky but the audiobook makes it easier.

spitzig's review against another edition

Really good. The characters were pretty believable. Even though all but two were Evil(note the capital E), they were still pretty believable. Maybe because only the main character was done in depth. He's a very popular character-a good person raised by an Evil race.

I considered giving it 4 stars. I really enjoyed the book, but nothing in it(characters, plot, etc) were really good enough for that.

aiaiana's review against another edition

fast-paced

kirstinreviews's review against another edition

Will get back to after I finish reading the series im currently reading

gladiusglave75's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny relaxing fast-paced

I adored this book. The world building is deeply immersive, and there is plenty of silliness kept in little interludes to prevent the story from being totally bleak. If you like creepy crawlies, useless grad students, misandry, swords, and manlets like I do then you may have a blast like I did.

leymag's review against another edition

1.75 stars ---
(Audio)

I won't say I DIDN'T enjoy this... That wouldn't be fair.

I found this book oddly compelling. This was not on my TBR previously and for good reason. My newfound love for fantasy had me biting off way more than I could chew with this series.

I enjoyed the characters and the idea of this book.. But honestly the world building just wasn't it for me. Politically, the only thing I found interesting about the world of the Drow was their matriarchy. You usually don't see that in fiction or fantasy so I thought that that dynamic was intersting... But other than that I think the only thing that kept me reading was Drizzt's moral choices. The rest of the book and dialogue was too inorganic, and allowed for too much repetition with the conflicts. Every scene that had any action at all felt the same to me and fell rather flat. Salvatore almost needed more variety in his choice of words to discern where conflict ended and dialogue started.

I don't know. I am being harsh only because I wanted to like this book so bad, but it just wasn't for me.

book_owl27's review against another edition

My first book based on the history of the Forgotten Realms.
Drizzt seems a bit of a Gary Stue, but the book in itself is highly entertaining and has a good emotional pull.
4.25/5

charliethevalkyrie's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

(!not native english speaker!)
The way the oppression of male drow is portrayed seems like a reversed parody of the patriarchy. As if the author took the patriarchy and made it into a matriachy without understanding what real oppression based on one's gender/sex looks like.

gibbleshanks's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced