The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater

jaslynn's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

k_winchester's review

THIS BOOK IS STUNNING AND I WANT TO LIVE IN THE PAGES. The story was compelling and so well paced, it kept me so engaged every time I read. The descriptions are so gorgeous - so many of them wonderfully unique or just amazing imagery. The characters were also unique and dynamic, and I couldn't guess where exactly things were going - I AM SO EXCITED THAT THIS IS A SERIES.

This is kind of book where the words are so absorbing, I forgot what planet I was on while reading, and returning to my reality was jarring. So, so, so good, holy wow. <333

fr3ckls's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

directorpurry's review

CW: self-harm, child abuse

Updated Review (November 2020):
I wrote this original review when I was relatively new to Goodreads and I wanted to sound Well Rounded and Professional™ because these reviews go on the Internet, and also I was trying to convince the world I have very good literary taste.
I'm well past that now and I can say with absolutely certainty, I was being an idiot.
I love and adore this book to absolute death. I cried, I yelled, I made lots of ridiculous squeaky noises... ugh it's so good. There's a reason this book is such a big deal, honestly.

Though, to give my past self some credit, it was my first five-star, non-reread novel of the year.

Original Review (April 2019):
The star marker isn't necessarily a comment on the writing so as much as a comment on how much I enjoyed this book. I've read a bunch of books so far this year, but I was hoping to find a five-star-er that 1.) wasn't a short story/novella and 2.) was something I had not read before.
I LOVED this book. It took a little bit, but once I got through chapter 3 or 4, I was hooked. I had an amazing time reading it and I'm super excited to read the rest of the series. I was emotionally attached to nearly all the characters and I love Blue's family, I think they're so interesting. Ganesy is my favorite boy by far.
I don't know what else to say besides if you like the genre, I really think you'll enjoy this book. It has a lot of typical tropes but I liked the way they were played with and I found the story to be strong for what it is. If you don't like the genre, then I don't know what to say besides you probably won't be that into it.
But boy did I have an awesome time reading this.

karina_dreamsinwords's review

4.5*

This is such a captivating paranormal fantasy that is unlike anything I’ve read. I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading this and can definitely see why this is beloved by so many. I would have liked the conclusion to not be wrapped up so quickly but I am eager to continue on and see what the gang gets into next! Plus Adam is my child and and I want to protect him with everything!!!

danaslitlist's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

I went into The Raven Boys based off of the recommendation of a good friend of mine with a little hesitation because it seemed like the kind of story I had read before. I was worried that I wasn't going to enjoy it, that it was going to be predictable or bland. And I'll admit that it took me about three chapters to fully feel myself ready to commit to dedicating time to sit down and read it more seriously. But I'm glad I did.

The Raven Boys utilizes multiple POVs so well and spreads the story equally among the three (sometimes four) "main" characters Blue, Gansey, Adam, and occasionally Whelk. Well enough that didn't feel bored with any of their narrations and instead was intrigued and impressed with the way I began to become fully invested in the lives of these main 3 and the rest of the Gang. Maggie knows how to make characters not only likable and multi dimensional but also knows how to use her characters to show the events of the story (the goals of the characters, their feelings, their interactions) instead of strictly telling us herself.

I think the main selling point of this book for me was the relationships between the Gang and the growth, interactions, and personal experiences each of them has. There wasn't a character who became the solo chosen one and it didn't ever feel as if there was one character who was more important than the other which I find to be rare in books such as these. Maggie also nails the paranormal/treasure seeking aspect of the quest the Gang is on.

The Raven Boys is the perfect mix of the Shane and Ryan's Unsolved and Stand by Me. I would highly recommend this book and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

pixylprincess's review

I really loved the story. Every chapter ended with a sentence that kept me invested and intrigued me to keep reading. There are a lot of twists and turns to it as well which made it all the more captivating. I can't wait to read the other 3!

verito2805's review

Final Score: 4/5

Ever since she was a little girl, Blue Sargent knows one thing: When she kisses the love of her life, he will die; she has lived since forever with two rules very clear, never be near boys and especially be aware of the Alionby boys, because they mean trouble.

But, when she meets accidentally the boy who’s supposed to be her true love and is now searching for a lost king named Glendower, could she be able to save him at the same time magical forces start to come to live?

With this amazing premise we enter the first book in a series that has, surprisingly, amused me beyond belief. I managed carefully to read it without any spoilers coming my way, which I consider a miracle because it’s one of Maggie Stiefvater most famous series.

The story is told by the eyes all the important members of the gang, all of which won my heart at an alarming rate:

Blue is a refreshing version of many young adult female main characters. She is an indepentant girl who, contrary to her whole family, was born without the ability to predict the future but can magnify other’s powers.

Gansey, the leader of the group and a boy who dreams of finding the Welsh king, Glendower, because years ago it saved his life. He’s basically a grandpa stuck in the body of a hot teenager, that every time he uses glasses makes everybody around him 100% more bisexual (I have many proves, cero doubts).

Ronan, a complicated boy whose father was murdered and left for him to find him, resulting in a series of discussion with his older brother, Declan. In personal favourites, Ronan is possibly the character I want to learn more about during the next novels because there’s no point of view regarding him and I feel he’s the one with many secrets yet to unravel.

Adam, the most adorable bean who suffers at the hands of an abusive dad and dreams of achieving success by himself. My favourite by far and the one who made my heart ache every single page, because the only thing I wanted was to cover him in blankets and love.

Finally, there’s Noah a boy who lives with Gansey and has some notions regarding Glendower, nonetheless might be way more involved in dark secrets than the rest of the group ever thought.

If there is something I deeply loved about the novel, apart from the interesting plot that slowly started to build page by page, was the dynamic between the main characters. None of them felt extra or unnecessary and the friendship they constructed if well-structured and felt not only realistic, but also incredibly beautiful. They are there for the others in sickness and in health, even when some of their flaws might cause rift rafts between them.

The villain, the motivations and everything that went down on the final chapters made my rating from this book went from 4.0 to 4.5 so easily. The only reason it didn’t manage the five stars is probably because the first chapters were very slow paced and the story started to pick up until the middle, but its understandable giving thought we were only meeting the characters.

Highly recommend it and I will absolutely continue with the series.

skeletonsouls's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

teganbeese's review

Wow!! This was better & different than I anticipated!! The twist totally got me. I can't wait to finish the series! Love this intriguing world she's created! Full review to come.