Reviews tagging Physical abuse

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

layne_and_literature_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

anythingforourmoony's review

adventurous dark emotional tense

ananko's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

nabecker13's review

adventurous dark hopeful mysterious tense

catphilli's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring fast-paced

What a little gem of a book! I didn’t know anything about this book before buying it based on its gorgeous cover design 😂 Such a fantastic story that I think all young women should read - very hunger games esque just more whimsical. Very high praise coming from a hunger games stan. The commentary this book makes on society, sexism, racism and abuse is so powerful and easy to devour. It’s also a beautiful emotional story and is incredibly written throughout. Definitely a great one for me to dip my toe back into YA fiction!!

rabiah_turns_pages's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

Namina Forna used this book to show how women are treated in a patriarchal society and how their worth is reduced to almost nothing. All the girls are taught that they are always worth less than a man from when they are young and the journey of Deka learning that she is worthy and has value as herself was really heartwarming to read, especially when she started to stick up for herself against the men who taunt her.

One of my favourite things about this book was how each character was given so much depth whilst also keeping you on edge to find out more about them. It made the plot interesting and I was so emotionally involved in all these characters almost as soon as I met them.

The friendship between the main characters, Deka, Britta, Belcalis and Adwapa is so wholesome and in a book that covers deep topics like trauma, abuse and violence it was nice to have light moments between the group that made it not so overwhelming.

The romance sub-plot was definitely super cute and pure which I was a complete fan of.
Was it necessary? Absolutely Not.
Did I love it? Absolutely yes❤

I'm super excited for the sequel 'The merciless Ones' and the movie adaptation! All in all this was a great book that I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys it wants to get into fantasy/dystopian books📚

ansoreads's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

WARNING: violence and abuse
The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna is the first book in the deathless trilogy. It's a young adult high fantasy series. Living in a contemporary world of One Kingdom of Otera, where men are ruling by the words of the Infinite Widoms. Which make women subjects of society. All females have to undergo a Purity Ritual by a blood ceremony at the age of 16-17. May the blood flow red, but nothing seems what it is.

This book got me hooked from page one. It is a fast paced dark, adventurous fantasy story about Deka. You are only at page 20 and the first plottwist is thrown at your head. The story itself is mostly based on the development of the characters and what they go through. The plots is just an extra. It contains a lot of violence and abuse in the beginning but it helps you understand the evolution, the confusion and all the emotions that Deka goes through. This book hits also some major themes like racism, female suppression... At the end I expected more. The final battle deserved more attention than 3 pages. It is a good start to a series of The Gilded Ones.

caraebs's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

an original idea, a book I don't regret reading but I found the plot to be fleshed out with lots of developments and twists that weren't always predictable but unbalanced: some topics seemed to take up an unusual amount of description while others were a few sentences. I found myself saying "oh we're doing THAT now?" or "when did this become a thing/happen?" I also struggled to enjoy the heroine as she seemed perpetually and frustratingly in denial until the last 50 pages which was quite frustrating as a reader to see a very minimal/rushed arc to her character. The supporting characters were enjoyable.

libraryfairyrachel's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

simonereadsbooks's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced