Reviews tagging Sexism

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

anaguana's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

travelthrupages's review

adventurous emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

rabiah_turns_pages's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

Namina Forna used this book to show how women are treated in a patriarchal society and how their worth is reduced to almost nothing. All the girls are taught that they are always worth less than a man from when they are young and the journey of Deka learning that she is worthy and has value as herself was really heartwarming to read, especially when she started to stick up for herself against the men who taunt her.

One of my favourite things about this book was how each character was given so much depth whilst also keeping you on edge to find out more about them. It made the plot interesting and I was so emotionally involved in all these characters almost as soon as I met them.

The friendship between the main characters, Deka, Britta, Belcalis and Adwapa is so wholesome and in a book that covers deep topics like trauma, abuse and violence it was nice to have light moments between the group that made it not so overwhelming.

The romance sub-plot was definitely super cute and pure which I was a complete fan of.
Was it necessary? Absolutely Not.
Did I love it? Absolutely yes❤

I'm super excited for the sequel 'The merciless Ones' and the movie adaptation! All in all this was a great book that I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys it wants to get into fantasy/dystopian books📚

libraryfairyrachel's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

literalottie's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

I found this to be a pretty stock-standard, average YA fantasy, without anything special to make it stand out. It has many of the common tropes, but doesn't really execute them in any particularly amazing way. I was particularly disappointed by the setting, which was a lot more generic than I was expecting.

The diverse cast is nice to see, but that alone isn't enough to carry the book, and the commentary on societal issues was very simplistic and on occasion a bit too on the nose for my liking (though this isn't an uncommon trend in YA books). Overall, this wasn't terrible, but I struggle to think of anything here that I haven't seen done before, and better

jasmoid's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

louise_o's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring tense medium-paced

This book wasn’t perfect but oh my fuck im obsessed with the sisterhood theme and that was enough for me

ellebanna_books's review

So this book is really good and has a good potential. The world building and the mythology are incredible and it would be a 5⭐️ to me just for that but there are few bad points to me. First the romance is not realistic, we don’t see them fall in love she just tell us that they’re close but it’s all (I knew it would not be an incredible romance because it’s not a romance book but I’m still disappointed by how the author wrote it). Next the temporality is a bit awkward to me, I dunno how to explain it but to me it was one of the bad things of the novel. It’s a sexist world and I find all Deka’s reflections very interesting and I think the author take inspiration on our society and how women were called witches and were burnt by men because they were not like they wanted. The friendship between the girls was amazing and a big part of the story (love that). To conclude like I said the mythology is incredible, really really wonderful one of the best thing of the story, it was so interesting and original argh love it.

kellylikestoread's review