Reviews tagging Religious bigotry

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

destdest's review

adventurous emotional mysterious slow-paced

I think it was interesting for a story to play with the constructs of purity in a fantasy world. As usual, only girls’ purity is called into question and the "purest" girls are the most covered with mask adorned with gold or cheaper metals. We see Deka run herself ragged trying to meet her society's standards. She tries to be as devout as she can.

Unfortunately, and understandably, Deka felt like such a sad sack the entire time. She's tortured in brutal ways and abandoned. I wasn't aware that this was a multiracial (why are there so many blonde and blue-eyed ppl? At least make it interesting, blonde and red-eyed?) fantasy world, so I was surprised at Deka being basically a magical biracial girl. On top of the impurity bs, she's isolated from her mom's side of the family and further alienated. With that being said, I fully understand that Deka’s dejectedness is a purposeful progression.

The storytelling felt very slow-moving, and some readers may drop before they see Deka come to terms with herself. But my heart was gladdened once Deka did. I didn’t care about any of side characters, the allies Deka makes, though White Hands immediately piqued my interest. The conversations between Deka and Britta just never hit for me. Very ‘we’re friends because we sit next to each other in class’ vibes. I was indifferent to Keita. But I enjoyed the lady army, the commanders and the soldiers were ruthless.
Spoiler the final fight scene felt so technical. The emperor was acting so hammy.

Because I wasn’t endeared to any of the character, the reading experience was lackluster. I wonder if the author’s screenwriting experience played a part in the execution. Still, creating a fantasy story is no joke!

layne_and_literature_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

ananko's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

anaguana's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

rinisvibing's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

i adored this book and can't get enough it!!

the world that Namina Forna has made is so engrossing that im still thinking about it and its magnificent array of characters. it's blown my mind out of the water.

the world building and cast of characters were *chefs kiss*

im really excited to see what more Namina Forna has up her sleeves for the sequel. this is a book that i highly recommend!! loved it!

ebelzinha's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring slow-paced

Honestly it took me a while to get into this book but I’m glad I didn’t quit it.
It’s a really empowering story, deka’s whole journey of understanding who she is and where she belongs. A true roller coaster. I did predict a couple of plot twists but there were some unthinkable ones.
I love deka, belcalis, britta, keita, adwapa and especially IXA!!!!

bookspaperink's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

scribblesandsuch's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced
I really enjoyed this- I knew it was going to be rich in culture and world building but I didn't realise it was going to be so feminist and beautifully championing women. Excited for the sequel

mybeevenme's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

thevietvegan's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional fast-paced

It’s extremely violent and graphic. But an interesting world 🤷🏻‍♀️ The pacing is jarring at times, things feel very skipped over, or fast forwarded. The author is a screen writer though, so this makes a lot of sense. Dialogue game strong, plot twist game strong. Ixa is everything haha.