Reviews tagging Body horror

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

jeanniea's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

Slow for the first half of the book. Then starts to pick up and get more interesting. I appreciate the bonds and loyalty built and treasured between friends. Writing style was on the simpler side. May be more interesting if presented as a movie.

layne_and_literature_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

cmontgomery's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

so good, so many unexpected plot twists, loved the world building. bestie passed out a lot but honestly i’d love a good sleep too. cant wait for the second book. 2022 can not come sooner

ananko's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

xmaiax's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring mysterious slow-paced

lucyarmstrong's review

adventurous dark inspiring tense fast-paced

literalottie's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

I found this to be a pretty stock-standard, average YA fantasy, without anything special to make it stand out. It has many of the common tropes, but doesn't really execute them in any particularly amazing way. I was particularly disappointed by the setting, which was a lot more generic than I was expecting.

The diverse cast is nice to see, but that alone isn't enough to carry the book, and the commentary on societal issues was very simplistic and on occasion a bit too on the nose for my liking (though this isn't an uncommon trend in YA books). Overall, this wasn't terrible, but I struggle to think of anything here that I haven't seen done before, and better

bluejayreads's review

I desperately wanted to love this book. It has so many things that I should love. A blood ritual to test if you have red or gold blood, a main character with gold blood that gives her magic powers and near-immortality, said main character going off to learn to fight in an army of girls who also have gold blood and magic powers. There's also scary inhuman creatures invading the country and something that could shape up into a really fascinating religion, and to top it all off the cover is absolutely gorgeous. These are all things I should have loved.

But I didn't. I couldn't, no matter how much I wanted to adore all the concepts. The book seemed afraid that I would dislike not knowing everything at the beginning so it gave me info-dump tangent after info-dump tangent. Deka had a friend because she said they were friends. There was a mean girl because Deka told you she was mean. Both of these characters hardly interacted with Deka, but she went on exposatory rambles anyway explaining her backstory with these characters to the reader - and neither of them come up again after they're introduced. Deka's anxiety about possibly being proven impure at the blood ritual never shines through as actual emotion, simply another thing Deka says among the vast reams of other things she's telling you. Even an attack on her village that leads to a bunch of people dying is a sequence of "this happened, then than happened," no emotion coming through on the page despite Deka telling you she was feeling emotions.

I don't think I've ever been quite so heartbroken about not finishing a book. I thought I would adore this. I deeply wanted to adore it. But I couldn't. Despite how fantastic the concepts and ideas here are, the execution is just so profoundly uninteresting that, with a heavy heart, I'm leaving it here.

ellebanna_books's review

So this book is really good and has a good potential. The world building and the mythology are incredible and it would be a 5⭐️ to me just for that but there are few bad points to me. First the romance is not realistic, we don’t see them fall in love she just tell us that they’re close but it’s all (I knew it would not be an incredible romance because it’s not a romance book but I’m still disappointed by how the author wrote it). Next the temporality is a bit awkward to me, I dunno how to explain it but to me it was one of the bad things of the novel. It’s a sexist world and I find all Deka’s reflections very interesting and I think the author take inspiration on our society and how women were called witches and were burnt by men because they were not like they wanted. The friendship between the girls was amazing and a big part of the story (love that). To conclude like I said the mythology is incredible, really really wonderful one of the best thing of the story, it was so interesting and original argh love it.

ebelzinha's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring slow-paced

Honestly it took me a while to get into this book but I’m glad I didn’t quit it.
It’s a really empowering story, deka’s whole journey of understanding who she is and where she belongs. A true roller coaster. I did predict a couple of plot twists but there were some unthinkable ones.
I love deka, belcalis, britta, keita, adwapa and especially IXA!!!!