The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett

therapybard2021's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

TLDR: The book is very good but didn't connect to me enough to get a five star rating. Still highly recommend it.

Positives:
  • The humor is great, as always
  • The plot is whimsical and fun, but also manages to get some nice darker moments in.
  • I liked the themes this book delved into and its message. It might be a bit heavy-handed for some but I thought it was fitting.
  • Tiffany is a great protagonist. I wish I'd read this when I was younger because I can imagine younger me relating a lot.
  • Everything has surprising depth, though I shouldn't be surprised since this is Discworld
  • The book is paced very well. I was never bored, nor was I at any point overwhelmed with new information.
Negatives:
  • Some of the jokes got tiring after a while, such as how some of the recurring characters have ridiculously long names
  • I struggled to get attached to any of the characters besides Tiffany and maybe Miss Tick.

samwescott's review

Oh, my god. This was fantastic!

So, before this book, the only Pratchett I had read was Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman (one of my FAVORITE authors). I've been wanting to read the Discworld series for awhile, but was to overwhelmed by the amount of books and was confused about what order to read them in. Luckily, I discovered a really useful guide and decided to start with the Tiffany Aching books.

I was not disappointed. Tiffany is a fantastic character and the book was humorous and interesting and creative. I adored I liked the portions that took place in the "real" world a bit better than the Alice-in-Wonderland-esque dreamworld, but honestly it was all great. I am so excited to see more of the witches and the Wee Free Men. Absolutely delightful book. Very funny. Very well-written. I cannot wait to read more Discoworld books.

molokov's review against another edition

2020 Reread: Tiffany Aching is such a great character, her determination (from such a young age) really shines through as what a child could aspire to be, and this book I think does work really well for young readers. However, the highlight of these books, are, of course, the Nac Mac Feegle, who are such fun to voice and the craziness of their language and attitude is always a delight and brings plenty of laughter. I must also recommend this wonderful Illustrated edition with art by Stephen Player - it has amazing pictures (especially his version of the Fairy Feller's Master Stroke), and there's a few small bits of bonus content that aren't the normal novel.

justabridge's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted reflective medium-paced

One of the best books I’ve ever read. There’s something new every time, and the way Terry Pratchett wrote for kids is genuinely unparalleled. I already cannot wait to read it again.

imthektx's review against another edition

3.5 - I struggled to get through this one a bit. I loved the Nac Mac Feegle (wee free men!). They were absolutely hysterical. But that's the only part of this book I enjoyed. Thankfully, they were a big part of it. This book focuses a lot on dreams and dreaming and that is one of my least favorite tropes in a book. I don't know why, I've just never enjoyed it. But some elements were very fun and fantastical, so it's worth a shot. It's not a very long book, so it won't be a huge time commitment. It also took me a while to be able to figure out what the wee free men were saying because of their accents, but it really made their characters so endearing.

nairam1173's review against another edition

Delightful. Remind me again why I haven't started on Pratchett sooner?

Voice makes and breaks stuff, folks.

rookdigoo's review against another edition

Why on earth has it taken me so long to get around to reading this.

varshreads's review

just one of the best ya books ever written tbh

akoyfish's review against another edition

Fun adventure. I really adored Tiffany Aching.

sarakay's review against another edition

4/5⭐️
Listened to this on audiobook (in German) and I really loved how the narrator gave every single character individual voices and made this whole experience even more interesting. I honestly never heard of these books but I found the audiobooks online and remembered hearing the authors name here and there so I thought why not give it a go. Oh, and it has witches in it... and I freaking love me some witches.
Something about this book made me feel super nostalgic but I don't really know why. I guess maybe because Tiffany just reminds me so much of myself. I really really loved her as a character, even though I thought I wouldn't because she's only 9 and something about that made me feel weird, I don't know. Turns out, it didn't take away from my enjoyment at all. Terry Pratchett's writing style is so suitable for both children and adults, it's great!
I'm definitely going to continue with this series and maybe even dive into other Terry Pratchett books, we will see...