Fable, by Adrienne Young

pygmypuffbooks's review against another edition

~3.75 rounded up~

Full Review on my Wordpress Blog:

My thoughts

This was the first book that I have read completely by Adrienne Young, and I have really enjoyed it. It was fun and entertained me quite well, even though there were some things that I haven’t enjoyed as much.

First of all, the world wasn’t built well enough for me. I didn’t expect some Lord of the Rings detail of world building now, and I also understand that you can’t really build a lot when most of the story takes place on sea. For me, personally, there wasn’t enough for me described and I wasn’t able to fully place myself into the story.
Granted, it is really hard to build a lot when most of it is just water.

For the characters, I really loved Fable and Saint. They were really well built characters for me with a lot of depth and you could really understand their situations and where they were coming from.
Mostly, I was feeling really sad for Saint as, in my eyes, he didn’t really deserve a lot of the hate from Fable.
Coming to the crew, the only ones who had a little bit of personality and character were Willa and West. Sadly, I didn’t really feel that connected to them as I wanted to.
The rest of the whole Crew was just pushed into the back a lot, which was really sad for me as I wanted to really know more about the LGBTQ+ relationship the crewmates had.

When talking about the characters I will also need to mention the relationship/romance between the main characters. For me, the story could have been great without the aspect of this relationship as well. It didn’t really bring a lot to the table and also felt a bit pushed. In my opinion, it was unnecessary.
Through the whole book both of them didn’t really have any chemistry and there were no indicators as to any of them liking each other in a romantic way.
Pushing this romance in there, especially in the last few pages, was a bit too much for me.

Now I will talk a bit about the pace of the book. It was really slow and dragged on a bit. Nothing much happened except in the last 10 to 20 pages, where so many things happened back to back. I somehow felt a bit overwhelmed as the pace literally made a 180.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was enjoyable and I loved that it was a Fantasy on the sea. Sadly, I wasn’t able to connect too much to the characters, so that I wasn’t feeling many emotions while reading the book.
If I could have connected more it would have been a really good 4 Stars for me.

I would recommend this book to people who are looking for adventures on the sea/on a boat. Be warned that it is not really past paced, so if you don’t enjoy books like these, it might be a bit boring for you.
The writing was also easy enough to read for non-native English speaking people.

I will definitely read the sequel to this book probably anytime soon as I already bought it yesterday.

schreckjo's review against another edition

Such a wonderful story of adventure, with great characters that’re easy to root for.

arkenst0ne's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful tense medium-paced

rysmi's review against another edition

Honestly it was a bit of a slog. It didn’t draw me in because a shallow plot with no chatter development and characters that aren’t even fleshed out in the beginning can’t do much for anyone really. It wasn’t a dnf, which is why it’s not a 1, but I definitely am glad to be done with it. Also…. The romance? Forced, sudden, and with 0 chemistry. Let’s just call it a 1.5.

lastbookmarauder's review against another edition

Wow. I loved literally everything about this book. Just everything. RTC

gradoyle3's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

hellolauren's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

the_aries_dragon_reader's review against another edition

This book was quite interesting.

1. I loved the main character. She was very strong and each of her decisions make sense.
2. I liked how all the characters had flaws, so they weren't perfect.
3. The setting was very pretty and expansive.

Great book. 4 stars

krys_and_books's review against another edition

Fable by Adrienne Young is the first in a duology.
Four years ago Fable watched as a storm stole the ship she grew up on and her mother from her. Shortly after her fathered abandoned Fable on an island promising her that if she found her way off and back to him he’d give her what she was owed. Fable had worked hard since then, doing her best to dredge the waters for stones to make money and pay her way off the island and back to her father and the life she knew before.
West, a trader that comes to the island and whom she deals with exclusively, ends up having to help Fable off the island sooner than she expects. On the journey through the sea Fable starts her journey with one goal and ends up changing it as she finds her father and learns all sorts of stuff about herself and the people she’s traveling with.
***
I love Fable and the crew of the Marigold. Fable is tough, and she’ll keep fighting for what she needs no matter how the odds stack up against her. She has a toughness but also a bit of a naivety that is interesting considering the world she came from and has lived in.
Willa was also so strong and unflinching in the face of everything and I really liked her and hope for more of her and the rest of the Marigold crew. Paj and Auster have this easy, we’ve been together for a long time, relationship that you can read into in the easiness between them readily. It’s awesome, and no big deal is made about it other than the fact that who they work for and what they do means you don’t go flaunting any relationships you have so it can’t be used against you but on the ship it’s there and it’s sweet. West is the kind of character I can see other people falling for but I still don’t feel emotionally connected enough to him to really be into the relationship between him and Fable but maybe book 2 will swing that around for me.
Adrienne Young has a way of writing that just keeps dragging me along through a story. It’s not overly flowery or descriptive but the flow, and style of it makes it so easy to just keep with the story and by the time I took a break I was almost all the way through the story anyway so might as well keep going.
With the cliff hanger ending you can bet I’m going to be waiting for book 2.
***
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

kindlemecrazy's review against another edition

I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the pirate vibes but damn, shiver me timber!

Fable may be one of my new favorite female characters. I was in absolute awe of her strength and her will to kick ass throughout. Young’s storytelling and ability to set the scene had me captivated on page one.

I NEED more of Fable, West, and Willa so naturally I went and requested the sequel on @netgalley. Fingers crossed I get my hands on it soon