Sirens & Muses, by Antonia Angress

jedbird's review

4.5*+

I found this story compelling - I read it in a day. It's not really a BIG story and doesn't even attempt to teach the reader anything new, but it is interesting and well-crafted and populated with sympathetic characters.

Well, except for Preston.

Preston is an annoying jock/art provocateur. Karina is a painter and the daughter of major collectors. Louisa is a painter and swamp fairy. Robert is a has-been political artist who gets a second chance at relevance.

The blurb focuses on the young women and their relationship, and that was definitely interesting, but I was actually much more engaged and moved by Robert's narrative arc, his change from a disengaged visiting lecturer to a real teacher.

The women's paintings are described, and Karina's work sounds competent but calculated, and I have no interest in seeing any of it. Louisa's bird women are another story entirely.

It's an academia story, an art story, a queer story, which are all things I love, so I'm really happy with this book.

samolbrysh's review

I don’t typically read books like this but I did enjoy it!

courtney_elledge's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

reyna_reads's review

pleasantly surprised! Writing was quite good and obvs loved my girls Louisa and Karina. The build up and them finding each other again was beautifully executed!  Now for the bad bit, Preston. He can go die tbh. I will never feel bad for a man (white leftist man who will always be a misogynist at the end of the day) sorry. Robert’s story was interesting when it came to Vince but fell kinda flat at the end, but wasn’t expecting anything more from him, we’re all slaves to capitalism sad as it is. Put some leftism in a book and I’ll eat it up every time.

ibazelle's review

emotional inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

dont get me wrong, I really really loved this book, it's so realistic about art and artist thoughts/fears, I say that as one and the karina plus louisa relationship build-in was perfect. But Robert's chapters felt unnecessary? i think, and that ending really disappointed me but yeah, it was a beautiful book in general.

kcassano's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

namminguyen's review

i read this in one day which i think says a lot. i feel kinda dumb reading it in the way i could never understand or relate to how these characters perceive and speak about art but i truly enjoyed it nonetheless. it is unfortunately quite white and at times comes off quiteeee pretentious but i mean that’s inevitable considering the setting and characters it centers. ngl i could care less about the men’s pov which i skimmed and even skipped sometimes (but later came back to) cause i wanted to keep reading about the women! i’m here for the sapphics okay?? sue me!!

the_raenaissance's review against another edition

emotional hopeful fast-paced

vinegarjenn's review

slow-paced

faithgladwin's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad medium-paced