Sirens & Muses by Antonia Angress

aelizbowman's review against another edition

a the pain of art and having to think of it as a priced commodity

annakat888's review

I liked it, dragged a bit toward the end.

sapphonism's review

dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

e_n_e's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

miriammm's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

lilgriff's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

annamickreads's review

"I think—" she began. "I think that the people we become infatuated with are the ones who have the qualities we want."

I am still mulling over how to feel about this book. To be honest, based on the subject matter, I thought I would see it a lot more in 2022, because I feel like the themes are very relevant. Definitely, in my opinion, falls into a "light academia" sort of category! "Sirens & Muses" follows Louisa, a working-class art student from Louisiana struggling to break out of her familiar patterns, and her standoffish, wealthy roommate Karina, whose parents are art collectors. In between, other POV chapters we get are Preston, a frat-boy-turned-wannabe-disruptor, and Robert, a professor who butts heads with Preston and is determined to get back into society's good graces after being dubbed "controversial."

The novel is set in 2011 during the height of Occupy Wall Street, and a lot of the book revolves around the creation and consumption of art. For example, Robert is called out for attempting to participate in Occupy Wall Street but mostly to profit from it by creating art based on those around him, not actually to support the movement. Many of the students at the fictional arts university where Karina, Louisa and Preston all attend are wealthy and can easily afford the tuition, but for Louisa, whose working class single mother also attempted a career in art before ultimately becoming a high school art teacher, her passion ultimately cannot pay the hefty price of tuition.

Louisa and Karina's storyline is ultimately the most intriguing, with their push-and-pull dynamic and slowburn attraction to one another easily the most engaging. The prose is gorgeous, but I wish we had spent more time unfolding the layers of their relationship (Louisa newly bisexual and Karina more comfortable with her sexuality, but unwilling to commit) rather than focusing on Preston, who honestly annoyed me the whole way through.

Many of the themes revolve around how genuinely difficult it is to create art, the pressure to create something "good" when "good" is subjective, and how competitive and frankly, elitist the art world can be for outsiders attempting to break in.

k_sanam's review