Gideon the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir

eimiko's review

deadsoon and dontgetattached are my favourite awful teens ever

also new strategy for when ill read harrow the ninth: dead people count at the beginning of every chapter so i dont get too confused

chelseaosborne's review

Oh my god.

wyward's review

well written slightly sapphic necromancer-cavalier trials

honourable mention to the blunt humour and GIDEON!! NAV!! gideon and harrow making the list to my fave ships <3

will not be reading the sequel anytime soon cause this book drained me

marzo_lopez's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious medium-paced

goatsinspace's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

bella_bookss's review

"Gideon was experiencing one powerful emotion: being sick of everyone’s shit"

Gideon the Ninth is hilarious, heartbreaking, and jaw-dropping all at the same time. Yes, the world can be confusing, and no, things aren't really explained until the very end of the book, but did I care? Not in the slightest. The unique writing style and Gideon's captivating nature drew me into her story, and in a sense, my confusion made sense, because Gideon's confused too. As a reader, I only know what Gideon knows which, ultimately, isn't much (at least at first). Gideon doesn't care at all about what others think of her, cracks the funniest jokes, and has incredibly entertaining internal thoughts. The other characters, especially Harrow, are intriguing and well fleshed out. I loved getting to learn more about them and their houses throughout the book.

The slow burn enemies to lovers lesbian romance in this book was also...perfect. Devastating. Beautiful. I need to know what happens next.

As for the plot, it kind of gave me And Then There Were None vibes...minus the ominous rhyme and plus animated skeletons. A group of strangers stuck in a mysterious, possibly haunted, house, all attempting to complete a deadly scavenger hunt of sorts. If this description makes no sense, I think it will after you finish the book.

Gideon the Ninth was a delight to read, and after that ending, I'm eagerly pre-ordering Harrow the Ninth

ambarzaned's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

loliloo's review

Didn't like the writing style or the characters. How is it incredibly vague and over-descriptive at the same time. Not a good time, bro.

lera_uou's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense

cindeereads's review against another edition

I really loved this book even if it ended how it did I am looking forward to reading more. I really loved the characters especially Gideon and Harrow I liked their dynamic I loved Gideon;s take nothing from non one attitude and by the end Harrow's abrasiveness was a good characteristic. I really loved the story with its ups and downs and the mystery that slowly unfolded throughout the story. So overall I loved this book I am really looking forward to reading the sequel.