The Vampire Prince, by Darren Shan

goldenslug's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

fableheaven's review against another edition

This is probably one of my favorites of the series. Dareen has come a long way and I am so proud

titanic's review against another edition

Normally I finish these books within a couple of days, but I just couldn't be bothered to read this one, and as a result, it took me eight days, smh.

delijha711's review against another edition

What the hell...
I swear this freaking book is a hot mess and the DRAMA! I cannot believe that this happened.
I didn't care for the beginning of the story with Darrin's journey to healing and back to the mountain. I mean I know it was necessary but it was so boring and long! But the DRAMA for when he walked into the hall was *chef's kiss* Kurda, to me-in my opinion-still a little bitch. I completely understand what his intentions were and I respect the fact that he wanted to "save" the Vampires but the way he went about it was just not for me. He should have told someone! He should have tried to do something. He was so sure that this was the right way and that he needed to change the way things were but refused to enact that change, make that make sense! Nah, not for me.
How dare they kill the ONLY BADASS FEMAIL VAMPIRE! Of course she died, how is that fair? Ugh, come on! She was a great fighter and way more skilled than that Vampenize and just, come on, dumb. Mr. Crepsly's emotions towards her death was devastating. I was unprepared for that.
Back to Darren, Darren, Darren, Darren. He infuriates me honestly. I understand that the opinion of the young is important to the ways of the world. It matters that the Vampires need to catch up to the ways of the world but MAKING HIM A PRINCE! They would rather make a child a prince then change the laws? Man I dont know that's insane to me. I was unprepared for this change of pace. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting story for sure but...wow.

kacidean's review against another edition

youreadtoomuch's review against another edition

Did not see that ending coming but stupid male vampires don't want to change their dumb laws. Not fun, bro just get with the times.

mrswhiscombe's review against another edition

A good book but dragged on and could have been put into a final few chapters for the previous book

alexampersand's review against another edition

I think this might be the best-written book in the series so far, from a character standpoint at least. I feared the opening of the book would be dull with no characters and no dialogue other than Darren talking to wolves, but it was actually engaging and insightful, and makes me wonder if maybe Darren Shan is just bad at writing three-dimensional characters with believable dialogue.

Later in the book, Darren seems to actually mature into a reasonable and adult character, quite a marked change from the slightly childish and impulsive person we've seen in the previous books. I really enjoyed him scolding Seba about the ways of the vampires - especially because I too have had issues with the mindless and insensitive ways the vampires seem to interact with each other. I just hope this is actual character development from Darren, and isn't just going to be retconned immediately within the next book.

The plot itself wasn't exactly my favourite, but I'll forgive those weaker elements due to the fact that the over-arcing narrative of the saga appears to be kicking into high gear, and because this character development, as well as some scenes that actually felt vaguely emotional and as though they carried some weight, actually made this book feel on a higher level than any of the previous books in the saga.

inkandplasma's review against another edition

i just wanted them to stop talking about the dynamics of wolves

lidiaaa222's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced