DreadfulWater Shows Up, by Hartley GoodWeather

burns_cheadle's review against another edition

4.5 stars: highly recommended for fans of quirky, character-driven crime fiction with a humorous twist. Full disclosure time: I am a fully paid-up and diehard fan of everything Thomas King writes and have been ever since the days I used to listen to episodes of The Dead Dog Cafe Comedy Hour on CBC Radio. Hell, Tom King could scribble a few lines about homeopathic cures for stomach cramps and I would probably find it hilarious. Fortunately, I didn't have to try that hard for this first installment in the DreadfulWater series. As crime fiction goes, it is arguably middle of the pack, but in King's hands the antics of Thumps DreadfulWater, ex-cop landscape photographer and all–round trouble magnet make for nonstop hilarity, punctuated by witty insights into indigenous sensibilities, usually at the expense of redneck cowboy types. The supporting characters in this first book in the series are also memorable in their own right. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the books in the series.

cozydarosy's review against another edition

Super funny and of course great representation of rez vs small town life. A great satire of detective novels too. You learn to love Dreadful and I can't wait to read more. I wouldn't recommend this to a hardcore mystery fan, but that's also why I really enjoyed it. I like character driven stories and this is definitely one of them.

steph1225's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious fast-paced

caseythecanadianlesbrarian's review against another edition

A great whodunit with a firm tongue-in-cheek touch!

evatj's review against another edition

DreadfulWater is the first in a series of five "detective" novels which I accidentally purchased from Amazon, when reviewing. The book is jot an edge of your seat thriller rather I would describe the book as gentle, sardonic and an easy read. I think it will be a great series to continue to read when I am dealing with pressure at work due to year end.

jenniechantal's review against another edition

A very satisfying mystery full of King’s signature humour and sarcasm. Very readable. Took me just a few hours. Will definitely continue with the series.

krwilson's review against another edition

I really enjoyed DreadfulWater, the first book in Thomas King’s crime fiction series of the same name (previously published under a pseudonym as DreadfulWater Shows Up). It’s a classic outsider-thinks-the-cops-are-after-the-wrong-guy story, but set in a fictional Indigenous community on the edge of the Rocky Mountains and energized by King’s dry wit. I smell a binge read.

dusang's review against another edition

A charming read -- Thomas King is obviously an excellent writer with a very dry sense of humour.

Reading it 17 years after original publication does remind me of the rapidity of change in my lifetime -- the reference to having to get photographs "developed" before you could look at them was a real blast from the past!!

ebweeks's review against another edition

It wasn't bad but it also felt like it took forever. I want to know more about the serial killer that made Thumps quit being a cop, not sure I'm interested in commiting to more in this series. We'll see.

laurel_e's review against another edition

3 1/2 stars.