Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

klynnmin's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

While I do like this book and I am invested enough to continue the series, it not the most well written book. I find myself slightly annoyed by the main character quite often and I could handle that if she seemed to learn from her mistakes but I’m not sure she does… hopefully the series closes those plotlines later on.

faithtrustpixiedust's review against another edition

"Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see."

This is an amalgamation of every YA book I've ever read before. It's tropey, cliche, predictable, and trashy. But I liked it.

So, essentially, Rose Clary Hathaway, after running away with her mom to the human world (and her mom's subsequent "death"), is discovered and goes back to Camp Half-Blood Academy, the school where pure-blood wizards and their mud blood siblings train to protect the world from vampire demons. There she meets Chaol Dimitri Westfall who trains her back from flabby mortalness to god-killing awesomeness - but is a pure she can never be with. She also meets the Apollyon, Rowan Whitethorn, who is a stalker with anger issues, an accent of uncertain origin, and magical tattoos, but is against all odds her unwitting Mate™, destined to either be with her or destroy her.

There's middle school drama parading as high school drama, severely unrealistic dialogue, and angry personality-less love interests. It reads like a Choices: Stories You Play game. The main character is an unlikable jerk. The world feels like a Disney Channel Original Movie set.

And I liked it.

Read this review and more on my blog here!

justjeanettelee's review against another edition

3.5/5 ⭐️

Vampire Academy meets Greek Mythology meets elements of her successor series From Blood and Ash.

Some of the writing felt a little cringe but I’ve only had Aidan St Delphi for a day, but if anyone where to hurt him, I would kill them and then myself

mclay0487's review against another edition

challenging emotional tense medium-paced

mittens93's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

emnoelle88's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

bthrds's review against another edition

just a bit too much slut shaming

interesting world and characters though

reads_all_the_books's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

bookgirlangie's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

I am quite thrown off by this. I expected so much more from JLA and came into this book with the expectations of what I got out of her Flesh and Fire series and Blood and Ash series. I expected to be enthralled and excited but this was not it. It was too much like Percy Jackson and had quite a few cringey YA moments. I read a lot of YA so I know it can be done without being cringey but this didn’t work. I swore if I read the work icky one more time I’d have to put it down. I still enjoyed the plot though and I am hoping it gets better so I’m going to keep reading as the next one comes out.

kakikian's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful fast-paced