Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin

leleisreading's review

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

aiyonna's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

fun

robotswithpersonality's review

THAT goes on the list of favourites of the year. Holy FUCK what an achievement. I will somewhat shamefacedly admit this is my first N.K. Jemisin, but it certainly makes me want to pick up her novels! And the art, oh my goodness, I will also be looking for more graphic novels illustrated by Jamal Campbell. Every panel showcases maximum effort, not just beautiful aliens and imaginative fight choreography, but the sci fi scapes of my dreams, conveying the experience of strong emotion, the close ups on mouths or eyes that tell you everything you need to know about what's about to go down. And can we hear a hallelujah for the superhero wearing a variety of casual and dressy clothes and hairstyles in their downtime?! Not to forget the writing: The discussions around emotion, the hope and tensions of peoples with a war torn history living together, the weighty comparisons to humanity's flaws, the rookie finding her way in a new position, guided by an ethical compass above all, the humour, the references; I do not have the words to summarize everything I loved about this book. I want more graphic novels about strong, vulnerable, occasionally goofy with it, brave, sassy, (com)passionate bi/pan/xeno(?) sexual Green Lantern Sojourner 'Jo' Mullein, who has successfully managed to actually get me interested in my first Green Lantern graphic novel ever. I have to assume work of this calibre means there already exists a demand for more in the future. Oh, pretty please. 🙏🏻
⚠️ References to racism, police brutality, enslavement

ericrobien's review

I would let a keh-topli eat me

jeremlee's review

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

ratcousin's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective fast-paced

I pray that N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell will grace us with another book together in the future. Bonus points if it's creator owned.

vermilious's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

panels2pages's review

adventurous emotional funny reflective medium-paced

The world building in this dense graphic novel far exceeds what I'd usually expect from a DC superhero story. I'd expect no less from NK Jemisin, but reading this in a Green Lantern tale is unexpected. There were times that meant the storytelling felt dense and slow, weighted down with a lot of dialogue or explanation that I wish would have come through the graphics. Which isn't to say the art wasn't amazing. It definitely was. Jamal Campbell's character design was fantastic and interesting and his colors are gorgeous. The world felt alien but the characters were beautiful.

My overall frustration was that sometimes the parallels to our current political climate felt clever... But sometimes they felt heavy-handed and didactic. The whole story seemed to rely on a pivotal moment that didn't inherently have a lot of tension, which meant that Jo Mullein's anguish felt unbelievable at points. But the story was incredibly well crafted and I think it was rewarding to push through and finish this one. I just wish it felt less tedious sometimes.

saho's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring tense fast-paced

salexander7341's review against another edition