Charlie Sunshine, by Lily Morton

solaryann's review against another edition

i am so in love with her writing and her characters i can’t stop

dithkusu's review against another edition

3.5 stars, would be easily 4 stars if I hadn't read all of Lily Morton's other books. I actually liked this better than the first book of this new series with Jesse and Zeb. Charlie and Misha's dynamic was one I liked better as a trope, that of best friends who are oblivious turned lovers. They had more chemistry, and their banter was better, but since I'd read the other books, this felt more like a rehash of her previous series. They're rather too repetitive in plot and premise- there's always oblivious friends to the point you want to bang your head against the wall and all their friends and family are going on about how destined they are for each other and taking bets on their relationship. Then there's the one dimensional jerk ex, some late in the game misunderstanding, one half of the couple being sweeter with a more humanities related job and the other being the career go-getter earner, and lots of description of their family and wealth with their backgrounds. Oh, there's also the connected friends who end up being the next book's subjects, here with cousin Felix and friend Max, probably posh Jamie, so on, dynamics rinsed and repeated. Here at least, I appreciated the element of Charlie dealing with his epilepsy and health problems, the burden he feels to be always that chipper Charlie Sunshine that is his natural sunny disposition, but he does feel angry and sad sometimes, and Misha is there for all his ups and downs. Interesting that Charlie is this gorgeous model hippie who is a librarian, and he has shoulder length hair. TBH, the model on the cover isn't as attractive as the Charlie depicted in the book or the one I've pictured in my head, but eh NBD.

teenykins's review against another edition

Banter: ✓✓
Shenanigans: ✓✓✓
Hurt/Comfort: ✓✓
Slow Burn: ✓✓
Bets all around about Misha and Charlie: ✓✓✓✓

Misha and Charley. 2 Best friends that everyone that knows them, have bets on when they'll actually mature and notice that what they want is right in front them.

Lily has delivered a beautiful story, with banter, snark, incredible funny moments (seriously the 80s club night and Doug are the best thing I've ever read!!!), hurt and comfort when it came to Charlie's condition, Misha's care for him and his family, a slow burn that was delicious and a set of secondary characters that enhanced the story.

I'd really love to know the drunk speech that Misha gave to the neighbor and don't miss out the Brighton Rock short for Misha's propose that went off the rails a bit... or should I say off a pier??

steiner's review against another edition

OK - I did some skipping to get through.

misneach's review against another edition

leslie_kent's review against another edition

***Reread 9/17/20-9/18/20. Normally it would be too soon for a reread but since I did a reread of, “Best Man,” I had to read this one again too!***

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars

Pure loveliness. This book was was just what I needed right now.

mbyrd555's review against another edition

I'm not going to go on a deep dive here and add a ton of details. All you need to know is that Lily Morton is a consistently funny interesting author. All her books have laugh out loud moments, light angst, and lovable characters. This book did not disappoint. I read it in one sitting and periodically my husband would poke his head in to demand what I was laughing at. Read this, read the rest of her catalogue, you're welcome.

haletostilinski1's review against another edition

I absolutely adored this.

We met Charlie in the last book about Jesse, and we knew Charlie as a sweet, always seemingly sunny in disposition, extremely gorgeous guy.

His best friend of 20 years is Misha, who is seemingly the opposite of Charlie. He's a little bit more surly, he doesn't do relationships, and Charlie is a serial monogamist, although Charlie's boyfriends are never that great.

When Jesse moves in with Zed, Charlie, who works at a library, can't afford the apartment on his own and moves in with Misha, and long ignored attraction and feelings come rising the surface the longer they're around each other.

And when Charlie, who has epilepsy from a bad fall a few years prior, seems to be ignore his worsening amount of seizures, Misha is the one to step up and take care of Charlie where Charlie's asshole boyfriend doesn't.

They are both understandably scared to start something, as they've been best friends for so long and they're the most important people to each other....but that's precisely why they work, as no one could share their hearts because their hearts belong to each other.

When they do finally give into their simmering sexual tension and chemistry, it's electric, and they can't get enough - and I couldn't get enough. Whew were these two hot together. Morton usually writes the hottest sex scenes and that didn't change in this book.

They had a small hiccup here or there, but they handled it well and there was no unnecessary melodrama or miscommunication, which I appreciated. These boys worked it out, and their HEA was the sweetest thing. I always love Morton's epilogues, they're always so great and I love going into the future to see how these men are thriving together.

Now I'm super curious about Felix and Max, who I believe will be the third couple in this series. If Max cheated on Felix, though, I don't know how that's going to work out. Unless it was a "it's not clear if we're exclusive" thing but there were definite feelings that got hurt anyway type of thing, which I sooo can't wait for more. But if it was definite cheating...I don't know if I'll like it. But we'll see! We still don't know exactly what happened as Felix, for whatever reason, still won't say to anyone. Idk why, as I feel most people rant and rave about their ex. *sigh* oh well, guess we'll find out in the next book. Second chance at love is one of my favorite tropes, after all (unless it was cheating.)

Definitely recommend this. I absolutely loved it. Two massive thumbs up from me! <3

achillespatroclus's review

lighthearted fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

tepidgirlsummer's review against another edition

I've been into Lily Morton since I read Milo in January, and I really liked the first one in the Close Proximity series, but for some reason this one just didn't do it for me. I'm not crazy about the cover, either. Maybe it's COVID-induced ennui, I dunno.