At Last by Edward St Aubyn

cmgreen's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective fast-paced

sisterofdemons's review against another edition

dark funny reflective medium-paced

frasersimons's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

I wasn’t quite sure how this could end satisfyingly, but I actually thought this came together rather perfectly, ending on its own terms. I always like contradictory characters best, and as we see in plain terms here, all of the characters we met were. Patrick’s feelings regarding them more so, which is to be expected at funerals. Dredging up the past presents the possibility of symmetry for the story too, allowing for catharsis, or the denial of it.

Perhaps surprisingly, I found this to be the most laugh-out-loud instalment as well. I’ve always found the biting humour in the previous ones as something that would make me smile, but I found myself chuckling at the grocery store, listening to the excellent audiobook of this (the narrator sounds so much stylistically like the one of Pushing Daisies I couldn’t help but feel some cross connection).

miss_blackbird's review against another edition

change your mind, that's what it's for...

kenziestevenson's review against another edition

Read it in two sittings. The perfect ending to Patrick’s story, finally able to find peace and accept that what his parents did was completely wrong while simultaneously having compassion for how they became who they were. Totally enjoyed re-reading the series, and I was a little bit sad when it ended and I knew I wouldn’t get to spend time inside Patrick’s hilariously cynical perspective anymore. I guess I’ll just have to re-read again next year :)

hrlukz's review against another edition

emotional

zebac's review against another edition

I know some people found this final instalment of the Melrose novels somewhat slow and painful, but I actually found it one of the funniest of the five books and the most hopeful.

bahoulie's review against another edition

not nearly as enjoyable as books 1-4

1outside's review against another edition

At last, Patrick is somewhat released from the tangle of his past. The series ends on a high (pardon the unintended excruciating drug use metaphor). Perhaps my favourite, or second favourite book in the series. St. Aubyn's prose is always at its best when it allows different voices to mingle.

kikis3_'s review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced