Reviews for The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn

jbeaty17's review

Lacked some of the memorable ugliness of her other books. I thought the plot machinations were too close to the surface with every single element of the book existing mainly to payoff in the jigsaw puzzle of the 1980s storyline. What stops it from being a middling psych-thriller is the amount of empathy shown towards the characters as well as the interesting use of satanic panic historical details.

nessymiller's review

I listened to this book, which made it even more realistic and creepy. Some of the characters were so well-written and terrifying that I was writhing in my seat. Flynn has a dark, twisted mind that makes for a super engaging and frightening experience.

One complaint: please look up proper pronunciations when reading for audiobooks. I am from Kansas City, and they kept mispronouncing Salina, KS. Easily avoided and just makes you sound stupid.

mirylicious's review

If i could give this book 10 stars i would. Absolutely amazing, Gillian Flynn is so good at writing flawed, unlikable main characters and i love her so much for it. The twists at the end completely blew my mind, and i was silently screaming while gripping my book while reading through them.

The book has chapters set in the past and some set in the present, as our main character tries to figure out what happened in her past, and the moment when the "past" chapters align with the present ones and you finally have the entire picture right in front of you was so satisfying, my mind couldn't take it.

Anyway, 1000000/10. Would read a thousand times.

aliceevelynyang's review

Just realized that I never properly added this book, even though I read it last month (and even though I spend an inordinate amount of time on this site.)

Much slower than Sharp Objects, which still remains my Gillian Flynn favorite. Definitely interesting as both a psychological thriller and mystery, but the pacing still frustrated me. At times it felt like the main character was just a puppet device through which Flynn moved the plot along. 3.5 stars, as it was a quick read, but would've liked to see more relationship dynamics and characterization.

renegades's review

I really really enjoyed this book. It was a well-written page turner, a book I couldn't put down with compelling characters and a writing style (present day - flashback - present day - flashback) that works really really well. Gillian Flynn takes every detail into account and when everything wraps up at the end, everything connects back in like a well-woven tapestry, it just makes sense. She doesn't leave anything out.

A very fun read. Recommended.

tyymian's review

eestikeelne tõlge rikkus päris tugevalt seda õhustikku mida raamat tekitama pidi

theduchess93's review

I only read Sharp Objects in this -- I didn't realize it also had Dark Places in it until I had to return it, so this review is just for the former. It was definitely attention-grabbing, but more in a sensationalist way than because of anything substantive or truly interesting. I had also read repeatedly that Flynn's work is very feminist in its tone and approach, but if this book is any indication, that is really super not correct. Aside from the weird undertones of sexism from the protagonist (which, sure, maybe it's just internalized from her childhood, I could buy that), there's this pervasive message of "men aren't the only people who are bad! Women are also bad! Look how bad women are!" I was really disappointed at how this was handled. I think the typical assumption that a woman couldn't be the killer/villain/etc is definitely a rich vein to explore, but ignoring all of the shit that the men around them do just to highlight that WOMEN ARE BAD TOO left a really bad taste in my mouth.