Reviews tagging 'Murder'

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin

ktnlifts's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

I sat on this review for over a day and the more I think about this book the more I realize how much I really really disliked it. The only reason why I didn't DNF is because I own the pretty hardcover and I will probably be giving it away. If it was a library loan I would've stopped after page 100 lol. Let's do the positives first.

What I liked:
1. The disability trope (I am disabled myself). It was done right, it was accurate, and it wasn't romanticized. It furthered the plot in a respectful way, it authentically showed how disability isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and a person's experience with disability acceptance.
2. I liked the pioneer game at the end as well as the character's interactions with one another in the "present" while building the games. There was so much telling, and not enough showing. I loved reading about them building the games, being in college, going on tour, and there was not enough of the real time interactions. You will like this book if you enjoy books that do 90% more telling than showing. There was so much backstory, and it personally would've been a better reading experience for the story to go chronologically rather than flipflopping. We start at the hospital at age 10?, college, then back to the past, then way to the future, etc. It felt messy and disorganized.

What I disliked:
1. The lack of trigger warnings. There is SA, g*n v**lence, *b*rtion, d**th, and so much more. And not a single warning in sight about these very sensitive topics, and I found myself really anxious and affected after reading. It would have been nice to know what was coming to make that decision for myself about whether or not I wanted to read.
2. The writing was so boring. I found myself skimming paragraph after paragraph of *filler* and it seemed like every paragraph ended with an inspirational quote in hopes that the reader would share these quotes on socials and further promote the story. You don't need an inspirational quote every page. I promise.
3. It felt like this book was trying too hard to be *that* book and I genuinely have no idea why it is so hyped up.
4. No real conclusion about Sam and Sadie. We know they are planning to make a 6th game, but who is to say they won't end up fighting again and end up not speaking to each other for years again? Cute ending, but not enough of a conclusion. I will LAUGH if there is a sequel.
5. This is not a love story. This is a book about two friends who missed their opportunity to be lovers and are friends instead. It is a friendship story. It pains me that this is marketed as a romance. If you go in expecting a romance, you will be VERY let down.

amynbell's review

emotional medium-paced

Everyone seems to adore this book, but I found it a slog to read. There were certainly things I could relate to:
*Playing non-shooter video games like Myst in the mid to late 1990s
*Having a guy best friend in high school that I created with and wished it would go beyond platonic
*Realizing that my best friend and I only had a surface-level friendship
*Experiencing pain strong enough to nearly render me unconscious (oddly enough, while I was reading the book)

I appreciated the ongoing interplay between the characters because I've done that dance before. But, honestly, it wasn't enough to keep me interested in the book. There's hardly any plot beyond Sam's foot pain, the characters continuing to make different popular video games together, and the love triangles. Oh, and then there's the Big Sad Thing that happens that makes readers cry if they cared about the characters more than I did.

Meh. It just wasn't for me. Don't NOT read it because I didn't like it. To each their own.

allisonplus's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

kerrygetsliterary's review against another edition

dark reflective sad tense slow-paced

itsheyfay's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

claudiaknj's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative lighthearted reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

literaryloquacity's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

cturn's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jessiep's review

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

hnagarne's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced